04

A week has passed since the first day of school and things are going smoother than you had initially expected.

Miyamura's friends had adopted you into their group, though you felt closer to him than to anyone else. Even though they always included you, it felt as if there was a barrier between you and them. During lunch or group projects their conversations would flow naturally, so you'd never say a word unless someone spoke to you first, afraid that you'd make the conversation awkward. Usually it was Miyamura or Tooru who brought you into conversations.

It was to be expected though, it's the last year of high school; friend groups had already been made and joining any would be a struggle. You were thankful for an easy way into a friend group and were prepared to face all the challenges thrown your way.

Things at home were going well too. You could definitely tell your grandma was happy to have company around the house and you were happy to be with her. You were especially happy about her cooking. Your parents never had time to cook or show you how to so you just stuck with eating out everyday. You also bought some decorations for your new room, which made you feel more comfortable.

As you slipped your shoes on you waved to your grandma goodbye and she reciprocated the action. "Have a good day at school dear." She smiled.

You thanked her and stepped out of your home. Walking to and from school everyday has made you become familiar with the neighborhood. The first couple of times you almost got lost, but luckily you would find other students with the same uniform and you'd just follow them to school.

As soon as the school came into view your stomach growled. Shit.. I forgot to grab something for breakfast.. you patted your pocket and felt your wallet. Sighing in relief you pull it out and open it, seeing you had enough money to buy something.

Instead of walking straight into the school you take a turn for the school's cafeteria, praying they were open. As you walked you enjoyed the school's scenery. Despite being here for a week you haven't gotten a chance to explore everywhere. Tooru only showed you your classroom and the school cafeteria.

As the doors to the cafeteria came up you let out a sigh of relief upon seeing an oval sign hanging from the door with big letters that read 'open'. You pulled the door open and walked in, feeling cold air hit your cheeks.

The first thing you see is a familiar brown haired girl wearing a gray sweater with her back turned to you; it seemed like she didn't hear you come in. You didn't see anyone at the counter, but a vending machine was nearby. Browsing through the limited options you insert your money and press the buttons. Your snack falls and you fish it out from the bottom and slowly walk over to the girl.

"Hori?"

The girl turned to look at you and your suspicions were confirmed. Hori looks at you with mild surprise. "Oh! I didn't expect to see you here so early." She motions for you to sit in front of her and you do.

"Hey Hori! And yea, I keep forgetting to change my clock's batteries so I wake up thinking I'm late but it's actually super early. I can't go back to sleep so might as well just head to school."

Hori nods in understanding and takes a sip of her drink. She is sorta forgetful.. Hori notes.

An awkward silence calls upon the two of you. She awkwardly continues to drink her beverage while you eat your snack. Although you and Hori were part of the same group you never directly interacted with each other.

"So.. you and Miyamura know each other?"

"Mm?" You looked at her confused.

"Even though you just got here, you and Miyamura seem really close. Did you go to the same middle school?" She asks.