𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞

CHAPTER NINE | NOT SO SCARY STORY
"It was a dark and rainy night, and this old lady, who had a passion for jigsaw puzzles, sat by herself in her house at her table to complete a new jigsaw puzzle. But as she pieced the puzzle together, she realized, to her astonishment, that the image that was formed was her very own room. And the figure in the center of the puzzle, as she completed it, was herself. And with trembling hands, she placed the last four pieces and stared in horror at the face of a demented madman at the window. The last thing that this old lady ever heard was the sound of breaking glass." The boys and Cove oohed and laughed at the story, the group eating the snacks they had brought as they listened. "This is true, this is true." Charlie passed his cigarette to Cove, who sat behind him, against the rock as he sat up against her. Most people would look at the two and see a couple, but their friends just saw two idiots who would never admit to being in love.

"I've got one that's even better than that." Cove rolled her eyes as she took a long drag of the cigarette, holding it for a second before blowing the smoke out and handing it back to Charlie. She rolled her eyes and scoffed, mumbling, 'not again'. "I do. There's a young, married couple, and they're driving through the forest at night on a long trip. And they run out of gas, and there's a madman on the-"

"The thing with the hand-" The whole group begins to tell the story, making Cameron smile. No one liked that story because Cameron would constantly tell it over and over again, but clearly he didn't care.

"I love that story." Cove shook her head as she wrapped her arms around the boy in front of her, who was already telling Cameron that he had told him the story last year. "You did not. I got that in camp in sixth grade."

"Well you were in sixth like last year, Cameron. I guess it makes sense."

"I was not!"

"Then stop acting like it." The group laughed at the boy as Pitts grabbed the book, reading from one of the pages.

"In a mean abode in the shanking road, lived a man named William Bloat. Now, he had a wife, the plague of his life, who continually got his goat. And one day at dawn, with her nightshift on, he slit her bloody throat." The boys and Cove laugh as Pitts smiles, telling them it gets worse.

"You want to hear a real poem?" Meeks tried to hand Charlie the book but he quickly shoved it away, sitting up from his spot against Cove. "All right? No, I don't need it. You take it." The girl also sat up, pulling her legs closer to herself as Charlie felt through his pockets, the boy's staring in disbelief. The boys began to question him, asking if he had memorized a poem.

"I didn't memorize a poem. Move up." Neil quickly moved to the side as Charlie stood, taking his spot.

"An original piece by Charlie Dalton." The group began to laugh as he finally pulled a piece of paper out from his pocket, slowly unfolding it as he turned the flashlight on with his other hand.

"An original piece. You know this is history. Right? This is history." Charlie cleared his throat, finally unfolding it completely, revealing a Playboy centerfold. Cove's brows furrowed in confusion as she saw the paper light up, making her nauseous. Out of the many stupid things Charlie Dalton has done, Cove never thought he would do this. Sure, some would say it was over dramatic, but he brought a large paper of a naked woman to their meeting and didn't think it would make Cove uncomfortable. She was the only girl at the whole school and she knew teenage boys liked playboys, but she didn't think her best friend would be careless enough to act like it was just nothing. The Overstreet girl made her way out of the cave, holding her long coat tighter over her body as her brother called out to her. "Cove! Cove!" The older Overstreet sibling caught up to his sister, grabbing her arm to spin her around.

"Just go back to the meeting, Knox. I'm going back to the school. I'm tired and you shouldn't have to miss out on the meeting because of me." The boy placed his hands on his sister's shoulders, keeping her in place as he spoke.

"I know you're uncomfortable, Cove, okay? It's my job to know how you're feeling remember? But I will always put you before any of those idiots. So, if you want to go back early, I will walk you back." Cove looked up at her older brother and nodded her head, the two twins turning to begin their walk back to the school as Cove looped her arm through her brother's.

"Thank you, Knox. You're a great big brother."

"I try."