𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN | CALL FROM GOD
The professors hurried down the steps, lead by an obviously agitated Mr. Nolan. Several carried newspapers in their hands as the students all got up from their seats. After all the professors took their places, Mr. Nolan addressed the students.

    "Sit." Cove and Knox sat side by side, not thinking to separate after the events of last night seeing as though Cove didn't feel like speaking to anyone else. The students sat as Mr. Nolan continued, the man clearly furious. "In this week of Welton's Honor there appeared a profane and unauthorized article. Rather than spend my valuable time ferreting out the guilty persons, and let me assure you I will find them, I'm asking any and all students who knows anything about this article to make themselves known here and now. Whoever the guilty persons are, this is your only chance to avoid expulsion from this school." The sound of a phone ringing can be heard throughout the large room. The professors quickly look about for its source, the sound of Charlie's voice echoing throughout the hall.

    "Welton Academy. Hello. Yes, he is. Just a moment." Cove sighed, placing her head in her hands as Charlie stands up, the phone in hand. "Mr. Nolan, it's for you. It's God. He says we should have girls at Welton." Most of the students laughed as all of his friends shook their heads in disbelief.

    "Why must he go against everything?"

..........

A crowd of students gathered around as Charlie stiffly walked back to his room. Cove kept her door open, just enough to hear anything that was said to the boy.

    "You kicked out?"

    "No." Cove could hear the sadness in his voice. She could hear Charlie holding back tears as Neil questioned him again, asking what happened. "I'm to turn everybody in, apologize to the school and all will be forgiven."

    "So, what are you gonna do? Charlie!"

    "Damn it, Neil. The name is Nuwanda."

..........

A knock on the door took Coves attention away from her homework for Latin, the same homework Meeks was supposed to help her with.

    "It's open." The door opened to reveal Charlie, the girls eyes slightly widening as her best friend that she hasn't talked to in a few days walked in. He had a piece of paper in his hand, a tear stained face, and a small smile playing on his lips.

    "Hi Cove." The girl turned in her desk seat to fully face him, asking him why he was in her room. "I came to apologize."

    "Charlie, the last time you walked in here, you apologized. I can't keep doing this." Charlie nodded his head, completely understanding his friend, knowing how wrong he was. "Does Welton really need more girls?" Charlie looked up at the girl who had her hands clasped together, her eyes becoming glossy as she tried to hold her tears back.

    "I only brought those girls to the meeting because I was trying to get over you." Cove quickly looked up, asking him to repeat himself because she wasn't sure if she had heard him right. "Those girls, they were just a distraction. Cove, I've liked you since the ninth grade."

    "You've sure got a great way of showing it." Charlie chuckled, shaking his head as he handed the girl the paper in his hand. "What's this?"

    "In the cave, I told those girls I wrote them those poems, but everyone knew I didn't. I told them you were just mad I never wrote you one. I realized I should've written one down for you a long time ago." Cove shook her head, making Charlie furrow his brows in confusion as she handed his the paper back. "I get it. I'm sorry." Cove chuckled, shaking her head again as she stood up, grabbing his arm to keep him from leaving her room.

    "If you wrote it, I don't want to read it because what if I say it differently than how you wrote it? If you wrote me a poem, I want you to read it." Charlie scoffed, thinking he had just gotten rejected. The boy smiled as he opened up the folded paper, clearing his throat as Cove sat down on her bed, ready to listen.

    "When you look at me, my heart skips a beat. I become speechless when our eyes meet. Why did you do this? You did this to me. You stole my heart, can't you see? I never want to be without you, not in a million years. You keep me at peace with myself, you chase away all my fears. From the first time I saw you, the first time you smiled. The way you lit up the room, and my heart went wild." Cove grinned as she shot up from her bed, wrapping her arms around the boys neck, practically suffocating him as he hugged her back, his eyes closing in contentment.

    "I've liked you for a long time, Dalton."