CHAPTER 28

I removed Warren's hand from my waist and elbowed him stealthily before bowing to pay my respects to whoever was in front of me now.

"Dr. Ezchavez, meet the chief of Department of Pediatrics, Dr. Nadeleine Vienaiaz." The acting director introduced me to them. "Doc, meet Dr. Conrad Ezchavez, Dra. Akane Ezchavez, Nurse Raia Ezchavez, and lastly, Dr. Ralpkiel Ezchavez. You too, Dr. Mendoza. They are the family that owns this hospital from Japan." I didn't even think that they were the owner of this hospital!

Fuck, fuck, fuck.

Dr. Conrad offered his hand when our eyes met. I accepted that, I also saw Dr. Akane and Nurse Raia smiling at me so I also accepted their offer to shake hands. My whole body is cold and I can't look at Ralpkiel, I can't even try to look at him by accident again.

"Nice to meet you, Dr. Vienaiaz," Nurse Ezchavez said. Nginitian ko na lang siya kahit kinakabahan ako.

"Please, excuse us. We have another department to go to." Warren and I smiled at them before I gently pushed Warren to the side so they could pass and leave.

Nakahinga lang ako nang maluwag noong nasigurado kong wala na sila. "Ganda nung Nurse," Warren said.

"Ligawan mo kung kaya mo." That was the last thing I said to Warren before I turned my back on him because the head nurse of our department was calling me. Sinabi ko sa kaniyang papunta na ako roon, pinunasan ko ang noo ko gamit ang palad dahil may pawis na pumatak.

Am I nervous? No! Why should I be nervous? There is no reason for me to be nervous again. Pumasok ako sa office ko at tinignan kung gaano ako pinagpapawisan. Ang init! Kinuha ko ang pamaymay ko sa drawer at pinaypayan ang sarili ko nang mabilis.

I really didn't expect that they are the family that owns this hospital, if only I had known, I would not have accepted the offer to me to work here. Nor would I want Ralpkiel and I to cross paths again. I work here and I'm sure he will work here too.. or will he go back to Japan again? Sana nga. Sana nga ay bumalik na lang siya sa Japan dahil mas maganda ang future niya kapag nandoon siya.

But to be honest, I can't even deny that I'm secretly proud of him because he's a doctor now. I'm proud because he was able to fulfill his dreams even though I hurt him. I feel that I affected him then to make his mind confused, good thing I was wrong. He coped with everything and that's it, I am proud of him even if I'm not with him as we go to this name.

At least I heard all his plans. A

And that's enough for me.

Now, I need to be normal. I can't disturb myself because his presence is there. I shouldn't lose myself in my work just because we are in the same place again. What's in the past will stay in the past, and I can't bring that here. What must have happened to us has happened. We both became doctors because I chose to leave our relationship to get the key to chasing our lost hopes.

I looked in the mirror again and fixed my hair, as well as my clothes. Lumabas na ako para pumunta sa nurse station na malapit sa office ko. I could hear their voices but I pretended not to hear anything. I signed the papers from my patients earlier before Nurse Lea called me.

"Good afternoon," I greeted them again with a smile on my face.

"Again, this is Dr. Nadeleine Vienaiaz, the chief of Department of Pediatrics, and the head nurse, Nurse Lea Gomez,"  the acting director introduced us again. "Let's go to your office first, please," nginitian ako ni Dr. Dizon said to me.

I nodded. "Yeah, sure. This way," malinis naman 'yung office ko, 'di ba? Hindi naman ako nagkakalat doon. I was the first to walk, Nurse Lea walked next to me who was obviously nervous as well. Binuksan ko ang pinto ng office ko at isa-isa silang pumasok doon. I avoid Ralpkiel as much as I can. "My office doesn't have much, just work here and a little design butterfly for the kids, just in case." I said nervously.