Chapter Two

Parker

Michael and I were sitting on my bedroom floor, taking apart my dresser. We had already taken my desk apart, and the bed frame was next. Throughout the last week all my belongings and clothing had slowly been packed away in plastic containers or brown moving boxes. I thought I would feel more emotional at this moment but I really didn't feel a whole lot, besides some empathy for my brother. He was more upset than I was. He wouldn't say it but he wasn't good at masking it. Over the last little while I kept reminding him that it was only a 40 minutes drive away, not like I was moving across the fucking world. I tried to joke with him to lighten the down mood, which he was more receptive to.

I was actually nervous about one thing though. As everything happened so quickly, he was unable to get the day off work. My eldest brother Will was able to switch his shifts, so he came by this morning, helping me take stuff apart and put my remaining items in the last few boxes. But I was unsure as to how all my stuff, and my taken apart furniture would fit in our two cars. Michael didn't have a car yet, and my dad was obviously in use. Will and I deliberated and concluded that I may have to come back and take a second trip, which wasn't the end of the world, but the day was already tiring enough as is. He couldn't do so, as he had to make it to work on time, and it was far out enough as it is. 

If getting a moving van was easier, I would have done it days ago. But for one thing, they're expensive. Second, if you're under 25 years old you have to pay a fee on top of the already pricey van itself. My dad couldn't rent it for us, since he wouldn't be the one driving and whoever was the driver had to show their license and it gets placed on file. And if you get caught driving it but it's under a different name, then you get even more fucked over.

Multiple trips wasn't the end of the world.

Suddenly my phone on the ground next to me starts vibrating, a call from Maverick coming through. Michael glances down as well and his brows raise in surprise. I grab it and press accept, before bringing it to my ear. "Hello."

"Hey, it's Mav." I wanted to make a comment like 'obviously' or 'caller ID exists' but he and I weren't friends. We had talked here and there over the week, I told him his landlord reached out, I had signed the forms and returned them. We also had a brief call about what today would look like. He worked until 4:00 pm, so I would spend the day with my brothers putting my shit away and together and make my way to the apartment, resulting in us meeting him as he was getting home from work. He insisted on helping me bring my stuff upstairs, and I argued a bit saying we got it, but I stopped pushing for it quicker than I thought I would. I couldn't help but feel anxious regarding his random phone call. What if he bailed on me?

"My jobs for the rest of the day got canceled so I'm off all day. Want me to come help you guys out over there?" I was definitely not expecting that. My brows raised in shock.

"Oh, Maverick well..." I trailed off, distracted by Michael who was whisper-shouting at me, asking what he was saying. I waved a hand in his face dismissively. "I feel bad, I don't want you to have to haul ass out here-"

"Don't listen to her man- we need the help!" Michael shouts over me. I lean forward and shove his chest, then point a threatening finger in his face. "Uhhhh..." I try to remember what I was saying, but my mind draws a blank.

I swear I heard a quiet laugh but I'm not 100% sure. "Don't feel bad, just text me the address okay? I got my truck, a lot can fit in the flatbed."

"Are you sure?" At this point Michael was trying to say more but I clapped my hand over his mouth, trying not to fall over while doing so. Sometimes it was like he was 12 years old again.

I hear some shuffling sounds in the background over the phone. "Yeah. See you in a bit."

"Thank you." Then the line goes dead.