Chapter Thirteen

Parker

I was awake but refused to open my eyes just yet. It felt like someone took a hammer to my head last night. Or rather, to my entire body. I was comfortable though, in the familiar feeling of my bedsheets. I was on my side. I pull my eyes open and face the wall. Some light was coming into my room through my open door. I look out the door as my eyes adjust to the light, and I see Maverick laying on the couch, so he could see in my room but currently his eyes were on the TV playing in front of him. On the ground next to my bed was my garbage can, water, painkillers, and my phone was on my nightstand. I'm not confused for long, little bits and pieces from last night flash through my mind. There were a lot of missing pieces though. All I can think was that Aidan was not who I thought he was. I trusted too easily, though you should when someone kindly asked you out on a date. You shouldn't immediately assume the worst, but maybe I should have. How was I supposed to know?

I sat up as slow as possible, worried that the room would start to spin. Thankfully it doesn't, but the pain in my entire body thumps. My movement grabs Mavericks attention and he too sits up. I throw my duvet off- I'm still wearing my bra and shirt from last night, and I have sweatpants on my legs. My jaw really hurt. I've never felt this awful before. I've never used drugs before, so I guess doing them against my will was my first experience. Suddenly Maverick comes over to my room, standing in my doorway. He looks so worried.

"How are you feeling?" He asks quietly.

"Like I've been run over by a truck." I whisper, pressing my hand to my head. I felt so disgusting, mentally and physically as well. Recounting Aidan's hands on me made me shudder.

"Take those meds and drink some water. They might not help much but they will a bit." He's right. I nod and grab the pill bottle, shaking two into my hands and chugging them down with water. My throat was dry and raw. The water felt like heaven. "Are you okay?"

I shake my head. "I don't think so." He's staring at me and I can't bring myself to look at him. I don't know why, but I was feeling shameful. Though none of this was my fault, I couldn't help it. It didn't help that my whole body ached, and my brain felt fuzzy. I wondered what was going through his own head right now. I keep my eyes trained on the wall, trying to recount anything. It was too much. "I think I should shower."

"Yeah that may help." He says. He sounds so soft right now. Maybe for my sake I guess? I slide off the bed and grab a t-shirt from my drawer. He steps back from my doorway and I find the courage to look up at him as I near the doorway. He's looking at me with sadness, hurt, concern. I wondered how rough I looked. "Did you want me to make you something?"

"Hmm. It's okay. I can just make something when I'm out of the shower." I reply, not wanting him to go out of his way to do things for me. He already helped me more than enough last night. I didn't necessarily like being taken care of. I was the one who took care of people, it's what I was used to.

"I'll make you a smoothie." He replies, then nodding his head towards the bathroom. Before I can reply he turns and walks into the kitchen. I leave my room and duck into the bathroom, shutting the door after myself. I place my clean t-shirt on the counter and flick my eyes up but man I wish I didn't. My face was red and blotchy I assume from all the crying. My hair wasn't too bad, just a little frizzy. My neck was awful, some deep purple and red hickies. It was the kind of bruise where you could see the sucking was so hard that red blood had broken through the surface. My fingers brushed over the bruises and I winced, they hurt so badly. It looked similar to welts actually, the kind I'd get from playing paintball with my brothers each summer. I look like I got assaulted, and well, it's because I did, but how am I supposed to go outside looking like this? I felt tears well up in my eyes as I thought of last night. I ripped my gaze away from the mirror and turned on the shower.