Chapter 88: Time Messed Back

Warnings: Its the final battle so HEAVY ANGST! Canon Typical Violence! Vomiting! Description of Injury! Major Character Death (I'm sorry)!

 The next morning after dropping JJ and scout around at Roberta's, making sure to give JJ a big hug and a promise that he'd be right back, Steve made his way back to the compound. Opting to take his bike which rarely got used nowadays, but would be handy in beating any traffic that stood between him and the compound.

Walking inside he instantly bumped into Tony "hey cap, how you doing?" he asked patting Steve on the shoulder.

Steve let out a long sigh "last night was rough... JJ was devasted" he muttered shaking his head, Tony gave him a small sympathetic hum "but I'm ready for today, to get everyone back" Steve says with a determined nod.

"Good, we have a few small adjustments to make on the gauntlet but we should be ready by midday, maybe just before," Tony says as the two of them walk through the compound corridors.

"good is everyone here?" Steve asks glancing around.

"yeah except for nebula, I think yesterday dragged up a lot about her sister" Tony hummed pushing his hands deep in his pockets.

"understandable... I'll uh go see the others, make sure they're okay," Steve says nodding in the direction of the common room.

"before you go, I have something to show you," Tony says gesturing for Steve to follow.

Steve follows Tony into one of the smaller labs, watching as Tony walked over to one of the large cabinets opening it up to reveal a brand new Captain America suit inside. Steve's eyebrows rose in surprise as he took in the new suit. The colouring was darker than his previous suit and he could see how reinforced the Kevlar elements were, especially the fish scale sections across his chest and shoulders.

"I'd started working on it a few years ago, before... you know" Tony says clearing his throat "and I know you've retired and everything but this gauntlet we're making is gonna be different to the one Thanos used and I don't really know how it'll handle the power of the stones, so I wanted you to have this just in case... help protect you in case it goes south" he explained.

Steve nodded "thank you Tony, it looks impressive and very protective," Steve says reaching out to run his fingers over the seams.

"yeah well here's hoping you won't need it more than for a Halloween costume" Tony shrugs "I better get back to work, I'll see you later," he says giving Steve a small salute before stepping back out of the labs.

Once Steve was alone he pulled the suit out of the cabinet so he could take a closer look. He had to admit it might be his favourite out of them all, with the exception of his stealth suit, he'd always preferred the dark more muted look. It was the necessary step away from his USO show monkey costume he was forced to wear.

Reaching back into the cabinet to grab the helmet something in the corner of his eye caught his attention. Opening up the next cabinet door along his breath caught when he saw the new suit Tony must have been working on for you. Like all your previous suits the colour matched Steve's, despite being sleek in design it was clearly built for battle, with multiple guards and reinforced plates over the suit. What Steve knew you'd love the most was the intricate design etched into the material, all up the arms and legs were Asgardian knots and swirls, all grouping together to create an intricate knot right over your heart.

Steve couldn't help but trace his fingers over the patterns, you had confided in him that you felt that you'd stepped away from your Asgardian heritage and the guilt you felt because of that. This suit would have been perfect, it was the best amalgamation between the two worlds possible. He felt a lump growing in his throat as he blinked back the tears, he knew even if this last mission was a success you'd never wear this suit, but maybe it would be enough to show you that you were never far from your heritage.