5 | the loss of a friend

"YES, MOM

"YES, MOM. I KNOW," Theodora spoke into the phone monotonously, listening to her mother's angry rant. She looked down at her stomach, watching the brunette resident stitch it up carefully.

"How could you let this happen, Theodora? I thought I raised you better than this."

Thea sighed, leaning her head back as she listened her mother berate her for not protecting her sister and keeping her alive. "What was I supposed to do? Huh, mother? The cops said she was already dead when the killer called me. What, you wanted me to somehow know she was about to die and run in there like fucking superman to save her life?" Theodora finally snapped, gripping her phone so tightly she was afraid it would break. She sighed, taking a deep breath in. "I gotta go, bye," she said and ended the call. She was always in a bad mood after a talk with her mother, and this was no exception.

Theodora flinched as the needle penterated her skin for the last time. She looked down at her stiched up wounds and grimaced at the red, sensitive skin around the stitches. When the door opened, her head snapped up to see Tara wheeling her way inside with painful grunts as the resident left.

The black-haired girl looked at the nurse beside her, who nodded with a gentle smile and began walking towards the door. "Remember to take it easy so the stiches won't rip," she adviced Thea before leaving.

Tara quickly rolled over to sit next to the Altieri girl, pulling her into a tight hug. "You're okay. You're alive," she sighed with relief.

Thea held Tara, leaning her head on top of the brunette's hair. "I'm okay," she assured quietly.

Tara pulled away, and looked down sadly. "I overheard the police talking about June. I'm so sorr—"

"You have nothing to be sorry for." Theodora said with a small smile. Truth be told, she didn't want to think about June's frail body hung up on that stage. She didn't want to think about her dead little sister or how she'd never really appreciated her enough, even if she was now forced to remember her forever in the most horrible way possible.

The cheerleader got pulled into another hug, but the pair's focus soon went to Theodora's phone, which started buzzing on the table next to her.

She looked over anxiously, only to sigh in relief at the sight of the contact name; 'Wesley my love'.

Tara's eyebrows furrowed as she noticed Thea not picking up the phone. "Aren't you gonna answer that?"

"I would, but my stomach hurts when I move and I can't rip my stitches," she shrugged and looked over at her phone as it stopped buzzing. She waited a few seconds and when the boy didn't try to contact her again, she turned to Tara with raised eyebrows. "See? He's fine. Probably wanted to ask me my Netflix password again. Wouldn't be the first time he's called about that."