010 | kools

NOT PROOFREAD

"Come on, toss your board over," Ray calls from the other side of the fence, gesturing towards Stevie and Ane

"Come on, toss your board over," Ray calls from the other side of the fence, gesturing towards Stevie and Ane. Stevie looks almost terrified. The fence is tall but the others scale it with ease; Ane thinks maybe he is afraid to embarrass himself.

She doesn't know about Stevie's fence-climbing abilities, but hers are below subpar. The reason she hasn't moved to climb it herself isn't out of fear, but simply because she's worried she can't.

"Today, motherfucker!" She hears Fuckshit in the background, obviously impatient. She doesn't like that he curses as much as he does, even though she's been picking up on the habit lately, so she'll try to remind herself to speak a little nicer to Stevie.

Maybe because of Fuckshit's taunting, Stevie attempts to throw his board over the fence regardless of the clear uncertainty on his face.

He musters up all the strength in his preadolescent body just to chuck the board halfway up the fence. It gets stuck on the very top and everyone laughs, but Ane feels kind of bad for him.

Sighing, she decides if anything it's her turn to try to scale the fence. Ray is still standing on the other side, waiting for them. "Okay, this is a really bad time to say this, but I've literally never climbed a fence in my life."

Ray laughs a little bit. "Just put your hands through the holes at the top and your feet at the bottom, duh," he finishes.

"Yea, it's a lot easier said than done, Ray. I'm not even sure if I have the strength to pull myself up in the first place," she rolls her eyes and gestures to the fence, which is easily twice her size.

"Just try. If you fall Stevie will catch you," he jokes, nodding his head towards the thirteen-year-old. She almost groans, but Stevie's shakey voice in the background interrupts her.

"Yea. I'll catch you." His eyes dart to the ground immediately. Seriously, Stevie had to be the most adorable kid she's ever met.

"Thanks, I feel a lot better," she said as she approached the fence, beginning to climb it just like Ray had taught her. When she made it to the top, she made sure to grab Stevie's board as she jumped down and landed next to Ray.

"See? That wasn't too bad, huh?" He said, walking off to join Fuckshit in clearing the tables in the schoolyard and leaving her there with Stevie, who was still on the other side of the fence.

"You coming?" Ane put her hand on her hip in fake annoyance, the smile on her face portraying her joking nature. It didn't take much time after that to get Stevie to climb the fence and join you on his own.

Only about an hour passed before she was setting her board down and going to sit beside Ruben and Stevie. Skating was becoming something she loved and wanted to do all the time, but the Californian summer sun was unforgiving. She couldn't understand how the ragtag group of boys managed to stay out in the sun all day without taking as much as a break.