Chapter 14

Emma's POV

I help Mother clean up after lunch. I can't keep my mind off of Killian. In my daze I almost drop a plate.

"Emma, get your head out of the clouds. Now out of my kitchen before you break something," Mother shoos me out. I walk back to the study. Before I turn the corner I hear muffled voices. I stop and listen.

"Look, Logan I know what I saw. He snuck out of her room last night. I am grateful for the information, but she needs to be careful," Tommy whispers.

"No come on. This isn't how she got this. Nothing is going on between them. Emma's always careful," Logan says.

"I know she is, but I don't care. She is too close to him and they are the enemy. We need to distance them," Tommy says. Distance? What could he mean by distance?

"I agree with you, but this has to be done correctly. Come on," Logan says. A door opens and shuts. I can no longer hear their voices. I lean against the hallway and slide to the ground. What did I just hear? Are they going to do something to Killian?

Killian's POV

There is a knock at my door later that night. Without any response from me Liam walks in.

"Now that you're eighteen I think its time I take you out. Now get your coat," he invites me. I stand and grab my coat.

"Where are we going tonight?" I ask as I shrug on my coat. "O'Connor's," he says as we move down the stairs. O'Connor's is a local pub everyone we know goes to. Liam and his mates are there at the very least once a week. The cool night air hits us as we leave our house. It doesn't take us long to get there. My brother and I aren't practically close, so the walk is in silence.

When we enter the pub we are met with warmth and loud laughter and talking. The pub is busy tonight. We remove our coats and wade through the crowd to the bar. We order beers, Liam moves me to the quieter end of the bar.

"Since you're a man now I think there are some things we need to talk about," Liam begins.

"Really more business? Liam, we are young. Lets enjoy the night," I say as I take another sip of beer.

"This is business and pleasure. Now would you fucking listen to what I have to say," he says sternly. This captures my attention. I set down my drink and look at him.

"I know why you're distracted at meetings. Its not because you don't give a shit. I know for a fact you do. I believe a certain blonde lass has caught our attention," he says eyebrows raised.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I mutter then finish my drink.

"I don't blame you. Frankly I have no idea how you got the little whore's attention, but bravo," Liam chuckles. I grab his shirt and get in his face. "Do not call her that," I say through my teeth. He just continues to laugh. His laughter unnerves me and I let go of his shirt.

"Oh man she has her hooks deep into you. Brother, you need to let her go. She's fucking with you. Messing with your mind. Oh boy is it working. You need to cut her loose," he sneers back at me.

"You don't know a damn thing," I spit in his face. He had been lighthearted until now. He turns on his heel and punches me in the eye. I stumble backward and catch myself on the bar.

"I know more than you think. Fix this," he snarls and walks out. I stand up straight and order another drink. I need to relax. What am I going to do about Liam?

Emma's POV

Nothing becomes of Logan and Tommy's conversation, so I try to not let it bother me anymore. The next day we meet with the Jones' for what we hope is one of the last times. They are getting so close to resolving this.