Watching Alone

"You children in Hogwarts are lucky to have a gracious headmaster such as myself who has allowed the tournament to continue. In co-operation with the other two headmasters, that is. This, however, does not mean that the quidditch pitches will be reopening at any point." Headmaster Black enunciated, his harsh voice echoing the packed hall, full of Durmstrang, Beauxbaton, and Hogwarts students. They didn't miss his sly glance at Madam Kogawa during the latter portion of his speech, who remained indignantly in her place. The pupils were seated at separate tables of their respective school, each aligned neatly in the room and covered in a cloth embroidered with the colours of their academy. They murmured amongst themselves as headmaster Phineas Black made his speech.

"When is he going to announce the champions? I'm starting to fall asleep."

"They don't even have quidditch at Hogwarts?"

"Aren't we blessed with the 'best' headmaster ever."

"Silence in the great hall, or I will cancel the tournament." Professor Black warned.

A hush befell the room instantaneously.

"I was only joking. Lighten up children. Now, our champions."

He raised his hand proudly.

"..."

The whole hall watched in silence as nothing happened. The headmaster cleared his throat, the phlegmy sound reverberating dully against the quiet as he brought his arm down, flicking his wrist before placing his hand upright again.

"Is he doing it wrong?"

"Très embarrassant."

"Why didn't they get deputy headmistress Weasley to do it instead?"

Just then, the parchment shot out. The headmaster barely caught the paprchment, and the force of its momentum dragged him off balance, causing him to faceplant the floor. Nobody dared to acknowledge it. He picked himself up, muttering all manner of curses as he dusted off his pantaloons before reading the name on the paper.

"Champion of Durmstrang... Yekatarina Ivanova Belyaeva." He announced.

While the other students applauded, Durmstrang pupils remained silent, keeping their heads bowed in reverence as Yekatarina arose from her seat. She had straight platinum hair which stopped just short of her waist, coupled with striking grey eyes. Her red velvet half-cape billowed behind her as she strode confidently to the headmaster, shaking his hand with a firm grip before leading herself to the podium, where she stood attentively, smiling faintly at the crowd.

The rest of the audience returned to silence as Professor Black held his hand up again, catching the second shot of paper without issue. He nodded his head with a righteous approval, snapping open the folded parchment as he pulled it away from his face to scan its contents.

"Ahem. Champion of Beauxbaton... Fabien Renouard."

Fabien stood calmly, his fellow Beauxbatons clapping politely as their champion glided towards the headmaster. Fabien was a willowing figure, with brown slicked back hair and smart glasses that lingered over glimmering blue eyes. He extended his arm with a flourish to Professor Black, shaking it respectfully before guiding himself next to Yekatarina, both studying each other rapidly before turning their attention back to the hall.

When the time came for the final name to be selected, the teacher hadn't even lifted a finger before the parchment began to whizz above his head, flying peskily like a daedallion key. The professor jumped about, waving his arms wildly, trying to secure the damned name, but to no avail. Everyone was stifling at least a giggle, but they knew better than to laugh at the headmaster of Hogwarts. After a painful period of fumbling, Professor Weasley couldn't stand watching anymore. She quietly brought out her wand, casting a non-verbal charm that brought the problematic object closer to her bumbling co-worker. With a final jump, he managed to grab it, hastily unfolding the paper so the ceremony could be done with.