Asking as Friends

After three battles well fought, the Hogwarts hallways were abuzz with excitement, transfixed by the match they had witnessed.

Yekatarina had impressed the crowd with her skill. Blink and you'd have missed the tight flicks and controlled casts of her wand; you certainly wouldn't have heard it. One bone shattering leg locking curse thoroughly demonstrated her capability in performing effective non-verbal spells, the results of which lasted long enough to ensure her victory against the very chimaera she sought to steal from. Its cub had been secured in the shortest time of the three candidates, landing her as the favourite to win in the eyes of many, much to the delight of the Durmstrang headmaster.

Fabien took a more unconventional route with his challenge against a sapphire cockatrice that was as violent as it was fluffy. His chosen method was to out-weave the beast in the air, swishing and spiralling like a wyvern. Despite the high-speed chases, the French student managed to glide elegantly away from the creature on his silver handled broom as it struggled to tail him. He had tired the beast enough to snatch one of its resting broodlings without resistance. This indeed stirred the crowd, spurning awed looks and a front page worthy picture in the Daily Prophet. Their awe turned into coos as the chick nestled into his arms, chirping delicately as its tiny blue feathers peaked out from under his chest. He came out from the challenge unscathed and while he hadn't landed as highly as Yekatarina, he had certainly become more popular.

And Sallow? Sallow had blasted the door to the den of a three-headed dog. He threw himself in, likely unprepared, and began casting like a madman. The boy had practically brute forced his way to those pups. He emerged with torn clothing, singed eyebrows, scars, bruises, bite marks - as well as his signature cocky grin. Sure, he wasn't efficient like Yekatarina, or as graceful as Fabien, but he had gotten the job done, and he was Hogwarts' beloved champion all the same.

With the first challenge was done, the next event these champions would have to conquer would arguably be their toughest: the yule ball. Eager students had already invited their preferred date upon the announcement of the tournament, but for others, the prospect of attending any such formal ceremony was a source of panic.

"You two must come to the ball. I refuse to dance on my own looking like an idiot." Sebastian pleaded. The sentence ended a particularly long rant to his friends about the stupidity of such formal events. Evidently, these were more a cry of frustration.

Ominis and Vera sat across from him on one of the many green leather sofas in the Slytherin common room, listening amusedly to their troubled friend's woes as he gesticulated and paced around. Much of the venting revolved around the issue that Sebastian couldn't simply opt out of the event – champions were expected to open the dance with their chosen partner. He had neither a partner nor a desire to partake.

At this point, Sebastian would have expected his sarcastic friend to twist his words and make a remark, something about him always looking like an idiot, or that the idea of the wizard dancing was enough for him to be the fool, but the Slytherin's mouth remained shut.

"I would go if I had a partner to go with. I'm not going on my own." Vera replied in his place. Though, reflecting on the sentence, she would feel too self-conscious to go on her own, but it sounded fun – the pretty gowns, being there with her friends. Most of all, she was curious as to what a wizard ball could look like. What sort of customs did they have? Perhaps they had floating decorations and special wizard food?

"I doubt you'll have trouble with that after your victory with crossed wands." Ominis pointed out plainly. She turned to look at the boy, scrunching her nose as she began to interpret his words. While he hasn't said anything objectively offensive, he sounded bitter and quippy. She chalked it up to jealousy.