Chapter 1- Friends don't do things like that

The hammering sunlight hit my skin like bricks. Like ice cream, my brain seemed to melt in the blaring sunlight. Part of me wanted to stop, take a deep breath and have a cold glass of water. Sadly enough I didn't have that luxury.

I continued pushing my legs to the limit, pure oblivion almost in reach the faster I ran. Panic and adrenaline with their spider-like legs climbed up my body in slow strides.

Don't get caught.

"You boys better not come back here!" Shouted the gas station owner. He pointed a muscled finger our way.

The shop owner's broad shoulders strained in his tight t-shirt. His evenly cut beard now flew around widely. His drained brown eyes filled with rage and pity.

The pity's good, he might stop.

I felt something slip from my hands but I couldn't let the feeling bother me. If he caught us KJ's parents will find out he goes to the sketchy gas station down the street.

KJ and I looked back to see if the muscled owner was still chasing us. The silence could be cut with a knife as our eyes searched the parking lot. All the cars seemed to look the same and were pretty big.

He could be anywhere.

I made my way to the far back of the parking lot. There sat a dark-haired Italian boy drinking a bottle of Coke. His tired eyes slyly drifted over KJ and me. He gripped the soda can tightly and threw the empty soft drink on the parking lot floor.

KJ and I stayed quiet as we clambered into the large 4-seater car. We glanced at each other silently, a silent conversation between two friends and the big question.

Theodore ran a hand through his hair. "So, are we banned?" I stared into his dark green eyes and smiled.

"Yeah, but the next time we come by we can pay." KJ chuckled before opening the pack of gummy worms. The slimy green and blue candy filled the air like an air freshener.

A loud ding rang off of KJ's pockets.

"It's Helena," KJ said, "she asked if we had brought back Sour Patch Kids." KJ gulped slightly as he put down his phone.

I glanced at Theodore, he sighed and rolled down the windows. The soft summer air sent a wave of cool air through my hair. The warmth of the summer sun spread across the car, it left tingles on my skin. The salty ocean air wafted through the air. I could almost touch it, the warmth of the sunlight and the coolness of the breeze were almost within reach.

Wow.

"Archeron!" KJ's voice snapped me out of my trance. "Did we get them?"

I scanned the seats and used my fingers to search for the thick cushions. My fingers glided across the seats but no luck. Soon enough I was frantically looking around for the yellow packet of candy. A cold sweat went down my spine. But I kept my cool in front of KJ as best as I could.

The parking lot.

"Dropped them in the parking lot, but we got gum and Skittles." KJ groaned but texted Helena anyway.

Theodore stopped for gas and asked us how she was doing.

"She is beyond pissed, she also asked for Theo to stop at the Pharmacy to pick up their mom's medication." Theodore groaned when they got to the red light but took the right turn anyway. KJ flinched at the gesture but kept silent. That was just how Theodore made people feel, tense.

But I don't feel tense around him.

If anyone ever asked me who the sweetest person in the world was, it was Theodore. His forest green eyes reflected that of sunlight and his lopsided smile sent happiness to anyone who looked at his pearly whites. The dark circles that seemed to cover his eyes made him look constantly tired.