Dream a little dream of me

———

———

As I walked through the backyard of the Lockwood mansion, the only thing I could think about was how much my feet hurt.

Caroline had asked me to help her with all of the preparations for the miss mystic falls pageant.

She had also suggested I use this time to break in my new high heels. Let's just say I'd be lucky to end up with only a few blisters.

Caroline walked beside me, her attention fully focused on the conversation she was having with Stefan over the phone.

"What do you mean you're not coming? I don't need to remind you that your Miss Mystic Falls attendance record totally sucks." Caroline grumbles into the phone.

Caroline pauses for a second, making sure I wouldn't trip down the stairs we were walking on in my heels.

"Besides, you're a founding family member, by definition you have to be here." She continues.

We walk over to a table where a girl is rearranging some flowers.

Caroline grabs the flowers from her hands and rearranges them to her satisfaction before leading us away.

I turn back to the girl and mouth a quick "sorry"

"Elena and I broke up. By definition, I don't need to be anywhere." Stefan's voice answers through the speaker.

"Did that sound as depressing to you as it did to me?" Caroline asks me, making sure Stefan can hear.

"They broke up. It's ok if he wants to be depressed." I answer softly.

"Oh, I'm not depressed. I just want to rip into someone's artery and feed until I can't breathe anymore." Stefan grumbles.

"That's not a very healthy coping mechanism Steffy." I scold playfully.

"Please, the only coping mechanisms you have are watching Mamma Mia on an endless loop and cuddling that cat you obsess over." Stefan snorts.

"Put some respect on my boy Tibbles' name." I joke.

"All I'm saying is, if I want to cope by ripping into someone's neck, then that's my business."

"Well, you can't. As your sober sponsor, I am not going to let that happen. Try and sublimate." Caroline says.

"She said she has feelings for Damon." Stefan reveals after a beat of silence.

"What?! She can't have feelings for Damon! He's...Damon. And you're...you. And I'm – revolted. You know, I'm gonna talk to her. I'm going to shake some sense into her clearly diseased brain." Caroline sputters as I listen with wide eyes.

"Yeah, well I don't know what good that'll do. Elena's right, being a vampire really has changed her." Stefan says.

"All the more reason you need to cure her." Caroline responds.