chapter five

CHAPTER FIVE: STRANGE DREAMS

By the time the sun began to rise, the group knew that it was safe to get Alby down and take him back to the Glade. Layla had yelled at Minho for nearly an hour after she had gotten over her shock of remembering someone from her past—even if it was just a name—which he didn't bother arguing back with.

He took each insult with a nod before apologizing for leaving Layla and Thomas behind, which only made Layla feel guilty for yelling. Minho was scared, of course he ran.

The three Gladers slowly lowered Alby to the ground after untying the ivy, their muscles straining after a sleepless night of running from the Griever. Once Alby had safely landed on the ground, they let themselves relax before removing the ivy wrapped around his limbs. Layla hoped that he hadn't lost circulation, as she would feel guilty for being the cause of that too.

Then, Minho took the left arm while Layla took the right one, and Thomas took his feet. Thomas sighed as he lifted the boy's feet, "why do I always get his feet?" He attempted to bring humour to the situation after the long night they had had, and Layla was grateful for it.

She was the one to reply, "you ran into the Maze by choice—face the consequences."

Thomas looked baffled, "the consequences—?"

"Quit whining and start walking." Minho complained, albeit jokingly. Thomas complied nonetheless, walking down pathways and turning whenever Minho said to.

Layla was glad to feel the sun on her skin, despite the comfort she found in the darkness. It meant that she had survived a night in the Maze, which was still as hard to believe as it sounded.

But Thomas... he was the real hero. He didn't hesitate in his decisions like Layla did. He knew what steps to take next and how to outsmart the Griever with ease. He reminded her so much of a boy named Percy Jackson... but she couldn't quite remember who he was. Just the name.

Percy... Percy... Percy... her mind came up blank. She tried desperately to remember him, but all that came up was loyalty. He was loyal as Thomas was, and fought for those who he cared for. Layla knew that she had admired it in Percy, and she admired it in Thomas, too.

"Layla, careful." Minho's voice broke Layla out of her thoughts, and she realized she was stumbling as she spaced out.

She replied with a quick, "sorry." As she focused on Alby and getting back to the Glade, her arms growing more tired as time went on.

When they had finally made it, Layla could see the boys walking away from the Maze doors through slightly hazy vision. Upon hearing the group struggling behind him, Zart turned with a frown on his face, before slowly, it turned into a look of disbelief as he muttered something under his breath.

     Chuck turned around next, and pure joy and pride lit up on the boy's face. "Yeah!" He cheered, gaining the attention of the others. "Yes! Yeah!"

     Layla could hear the sounds of excitement from the boys up ahead, but she was too tired to feel proud of herself. Just a few more steps. The second Layla's foot touched the grass, no longer feeling the cold, hard concrete of the Maze, she began to lower Alby.

She let out heavy pants of exhaustion, just like the boy's did, and watched as Clint and Jeff began to look over Alby's wounds.

     "Watch out, watch out." Jeff warned, not allowing anyone to close. "Easy."

     "What happened out there?"