back to the parents

I take slow sips of the water Scarlett handed me, trying to regulate my breathing and calm my still slightly racing heart. Her presence and soothing words help to anchor me in the moment, and I start to feel a sense of clarity returning.

I take a deep breath and look at Scarlett, feeling grateful for her support. "Thank you," I whisper, my voice still shaky. "I don't know what happened, I just... panicked."

Scarlett gives me a reassuring smile. "It's okay. Panic attacks can happen to anyone, and it's important to remember that it's not your fault. You're not alone, I'm here for you."

I nod, feeling a mixture of relief and vulnerability. "I have to go home," I say quietly, looking down at my phone with the message from my parents. "But the thought of facing them... it's overwhelming."

Scarlett reaches out and places a hand on my shoulder. "Take your time, and remember that you do have some control over the situation".

Her words resonate with me, and I take another deep breath, feeling a sense of determination rising within me. "You're right," I say, looking up at Scarlett with renewed resolve. "

Scarlett smiles, her hand still on my shoulder. "I believe in you," she says softly. "And I'll be here to support you every step of the way."

With Scarlett's support, I start to feel more confident about facing my parents. I know it won't be easy, but I'm determined to do something about the situation. I take another deep breath, feeling a sense of calm settling over me.

"I'll do it, I'll go home and talk to them."

Scarlett nods, her eyes filled with pride. "You've got this," she says. "And remember, I'll be here for you, no matter what."

Feeling grateful for Scarlett's support, I take another deep breath and send a reply to my parents, letting them know that I'll come home to talk to them. As I put my phone down, I feel a sense of relief and empowerment.  

Scarlett continuously checks up on me and after I assure her that I'll be okay, she lets me head off to my trailer. 

The next morning, Cara knocked on my trailer door early in the morning. 

"Y/n, I got the call from your parents, I'm so sorry for your loss".

 I scrunch my face up in confusion as Cara gives me a hug. 

"They told me about the death of your dog, we completely understand and Eric will take you home in about 20 minutes". She shoots me a final pitiful look before rushing off and leaving me standing confused. 

Finally, it hit me, so that's the excuse they used to get me out of work. My non-existent dog passed away.

I gathered all of my essential stuff but made sure to leave most of my things in the trailer, a good excuse to come back. Eric gave me a hug as well when he came and got me and I didn't tell I'm the truth, I think it'd be easier to just deal with it itself. 

As Eric pulls the fancy limo up, a sick feeling settles in my stomach. I send off a text to Lilly, letting her know where I've gone and suddenly I feel so empty. Like I'm walking into the path of the bullet.  

Right as I open the door to get in I hear a familiar voice from behind me. I turn around and Scarlett is running towards me. She had on a hoodie and sweats and I could tell she'd just rolled out of bed. She got to me and pulled me into a tight hug. I squeeze her back, glad of the comfort. 

"Y/n everything is gonna be okay, I'll see you in no time. I'm only a text away".  I thank her and we pull away, causing me to shiver in the sudden cold. I'd left Lizzie's hoodie in my trailer. 

Eric coughs and I know he's eager to get going. Without a second thought Scarlett takes off her hoodie and plops it over me. Her perfume envelops me, and I find myself immediately relaxing. She now stands in a plain T-shirt. She gives me a final hug and waves us goodbye as we pull away. 

I settle in for the ride, taking comfort from Scarlett's hoodie. Eric occasionally makes small talk but I know he doesn't want to talk too much because of my 'dog's death'. I don't mind the silence though, it gives me time to think. 

I brace myself as we drive back home. The journey feels long and heavy with anticipation. As the familiar surroundings of my childhood home come into view, I feel a mix of nostalgia and anxiety. Scarlett's words of encouragement echo in my mind, reminding me to stand my ground.

As I enter the house, I'm greeted by my parents with a facade of warmth. Their smiles don't reach their eyes, and I can sense the tension in the air. Memories of past conflicts and hurtful words come flooding back, and I feel a familiar sense of unease settle over me.

My parents start asking questions, probing and prying into my life. I can sense their underlying manipulative tactics, trying to guilt-trip me or invalidate my feelings. I try not to let them get to me this time. 

I take a deep breath and assertively set my boundaries. I let them know that I'm not comfortable giving them the money I make. Their reactions are mixed, ranging from dismissiveness to anger. It's clear that they're not used to me standing up for myself, and I refuse to let them see how nervous I was.

As the conversation continues, my parents started to use their familiar abusive tactics - gaslighting, manipulation, and blame-shifting. 

I refuse to back down and eventually, it happens, I've pushed too far.