Opening Eyes

"She's finally opening her eyes!" A now familiar voice jolted Fawnkit out of her sleep. That was Minnowheart, her mother. Something furry tickled the tip of her nose, and she sneezed.

"Oops! Sorry!" Her littermate, Icekit, squeaked. Minnowheart had told her that Icekit had opened his eyes the day after they'd been kitted, though Fawnkit and Shadekit had yet to do so. 

Though it seemed that Shadekit's eyes were finally opening. 

"Wow!" Her sister squealed excitedly. "All these colors! I can finally see you, Icekit! Wow, you're so white."

"I want to see too!" Fawnkit stumbled towards her mother's furry belly, feeling upset as Icekit and Shadekit both rustled in their nest. 

"Your eyes will open when the time comes," Minnowheart mewed gently, wrapping her tail around her. "You'll be surprised to see how beautiful the world is! Just wait patiently."

I don't want to wait! Fawnkit grumbled to herself. She scrambled out of then nest, and slowly pried her eyes open. 

The nursery was bigger than she'd thought, with soft bundles of green moss on the ground. A pale cream queen, who's belly was heavy with unborn kits, was watching her with glowing eyes. Two small kits, one a startling white, the other black, tussled together, fighting playfully. A beautiful black she-cat with dark green eyes looked at her with excitement.

"Go join your littermates, young one," She purred. "Go and explore the camp!"

"Icekit!" Fawnkit yowled, barreling into her brother and sister. "Shadekit! Minnowheart said we can explore the camp!"

"You opened your eyes, too!" Shadekit jumped out of the way as Icekit tumbled to the ground. "Come on, Icekit! Stop playing around!"

Fawnkit batted the black she-kit over the ears.

"Hey!" Shadekit growled playfully. "You want a real fight?"

"We can do that later," Icekit squealed. "I'm going outside!" Fawnkit followed her littermates outside the nursery, her paws tingling with excitement.

Finally, she could see the camp she'd one day protect with her life!