Chapter 4: Seeing the Sights

After nearly seven months, I've finally finished this story. I hope you enjoy it.

So, this is a fleshed out version of the first few stops before the Dino Park.

Chapter 4: Seeing the Sights

Gradually, the sights became less and less familiar. I wondered what our first stop was going to be. What new wonders were we going to see?

I got my answer soon enough.

"Dad-gum!" Mater exclaimed a little while later, spotting a sign. "The world's largest tyre maze, only a mile away!"

"Sounds cool!" Once again, I was trying to remain upbeat. However, I was nervous. I had no sense of direction. I remembered the last time I went to the mall in Velo City. I'd used a different entrance to the one I normally used, so even though I'd been there plenty of times and had a pretty good memory, I got hopelessly lost.

I wasn't sure how Lightning felt, but he said it sounded like fun. Maybe he was just trying to humour Mater; I don't know, but any rate, our first stop was the world's largest tyre maze.

As we entered, I really wanted to stick with the guys. I didn't think that I could find the way out on my own. Unfortunately, Mater had other plans.

"Let's have a race!" he suggested, grinning. "See who can get out of here first!"

I was about to protest, but Lightning answered before I could.

"You're on, buddy!"

I should've known. Lightning McQueen was not one to back down from a challenge.

"One, two, three, go!" Mater hollered quickly.

Before I knew what was happening, both my brothers sped off. I wanted to chase them down, but, being a human, I stood no chance, especially to catch Lightning.

Out of options, I decided to throw caution to the wind and ventured deeper into the maze, hoping I'd run into one of them.

After a while, I couldn't help thinking that I'd made a mistake. Maybe it would've been best to wait by the entrance to the maze. Every few seconds, I hit a wall made out of tyres. So, I'd turn around and try to go back the way I came, but I could never figure out which way I'd already been. Of course, it all looked the same!

As if that weren't bad enough, it almost started to look like the tyres were closing in on me. The gaps between the walls seemed to be getting narrower and narrower. It could've been my imagination, though. I guess I just felt very confined in the maze and I have severe claustrophobia. I've had it ever since my racing accident when I was twelve (I couldn't believe it was nearly ten years ago now!), having had a lot of MRI scans.

I guess I started to panic a little. I was practically hyperventilating, resting my hand on the nearest tyre.

"McQueen!" I heard Mater's voice, but I couldn't tell where it was coming from.

"Mater?"

"McQueen!"

"Mater?"

"McQueen!"

"Guys?!" I tried to call through my shaky breath.

"Fudge?!" both guys called in unison.

"Where are you guys?" I replied.

"I don't know!" That was Lightning. "Where are you?"

"I don't know !"

"All right. Stay where you are!" Lightning instructed. I think he could tell I was on the verge of a breakdown. "I'm coming to find you!"