Akaza: It's Complicated

"Wow." I said in breathless wonder, and I heard Akaza whistle beside me. It was very bright – brighter than the city Tamayo-san was staying at. People were everywhere, and beautiful women called out to men from balconies. It was like a never-ending festival where cheers and laughter mixed and rang in the air.

"This is Yoshiwara district," said Uzui-san, "a night district where allure and desire of men and women creates a storm of love and hatred. Isn't it flamboyant?" For once he was right. It was flamboyant. "This place sleeps during the day but shines so brilliantly at night. It's the perfect place for demons, isn't it?" At that he turned to Akaza and me. "So..."

Uzui-san focused on Akaza, "you know where they are?" Akaza did say there were two demons here. Technically, only one of them was the Demon Moon. "They are here." He stated simply. "I never cared which house, though."

"Ha! Then you're pretty much useless! Why are you even here?" Uzui-san was annoyed whilst Akaza just turned away from him, "I already told you; we need blood samples." The two of them squabbled while everyone else seemed to be having a good time, and –

"Excuse me!" An old lady approached Akaza and Uzui-san and then pointed at me. "How much for her?" Uzui-san was all smiles while Akaza looked like he was having a very bad stomach cramp. Fist balling at his sides he made a move as if he wanted to stand beside me, making Uzui-san push away his face with his big hand as he transacted with the old woman. It all happened so quickly and there wasn't any time for goodbyes. Well, it's not like I won't ever see them again anyway.

Still, I couldn't help but glance back.

I was to be trained as an Oiran, and part of my training was to keep the house in order. Right after arriving I was tasked with several chores. I was a glorified slave, in other words. Chores are mindless tasks, letting other thoughts crowd in my head.

I thought of Akaza and how our last conversation just left me confused. I just couldn't shake it off as part of the gap in my memory because watching fireworks with him would surely be one of my treasured memories, wouldn't it? It wasn't the time to think about that, though.

We're on a mission, and thanks to Akaza's information we knew what to look out for. I have to say, it's brave for these Demon Moons to live the way they do. They really seemed to be baiting the Demon Slayers to them. Though, since this district literally comes to life at night, maybe staying here as a demon was smart.

I finished the first chore I was tasked with, so I left my quarters and went back downstairs to the lobby. The moment I stepped off the stairs I heard the hostess arguing with someone and then a familiar voice called out "her! That one." Akaza? She sighed, exasperated. "And as I told you, sir, this isn't how our establishment works!"

The very human-looking Akaza was arguing while pointing at me, the hostess telling him no. "She hasn't even started training! And I - " Akaza shook his head, lips pouting a bit looking as if he'd throw a tantrum almost on par with what Nobu used to do as a kid. However, instead of using words to argue he just flashed an almost obscene amount of money. I don't think I want to know where it all came from.

"Of course, sir! Y/N will make sure you have a wonderful evening." Money truly works wonders.

"...Kyogoku house's Warabihime is the prettiest Oiran–"

"Nah. The prettiest one is in the Tokito House."

Akaza sighed for what was probably the hundredth time. There were just too many people, some even stopping to talk in front of us. The streets were tightly packed that everyone could hear anyone's conversations. It was only natural for Akaza to be annoyed. It made perfect sense when he dragged me to the side of a building which led to the edge of the town.