"he makes may happy."

can't believe i forgot about the may's abusive boyfriend trope

i just realised the title is kind of a play on words by accident and i love it

set during immediately after homecoming; non compliant with any following movies, i'm making my own post-homecoming storyline meaning NO THANOS thank you very much

tw: abuse

~NO POV~

Peter Parker lost his Uncle Ben in a brutal way, and he never forgot the feeling of the man's blood on his hands as he tried to stop the bleeding, as he begged the man to wake up. The words he said earlier, about power and responsibility ringing through his ears, and he realised he wasn't responsible.

He abused his power.

And he hated himself for it. So when the spider bit him, he promised to never abuse his power again. He would do what he could for Queens, but as Peter Parker he wouldn't abuse the power either. If he couldn't before, he wouldn't now.

He pretended like the death of his uncle wasn't incredibly traumatising, and focussed on his aunt. May was struggling, openly, even if she tried to hide it from Peter. It was obvious, how much it hurt, but Peter adored the way she never blamed him for Ben's death.

Because he blamed himself.

He watched his aunt struggle and eventually move on, and though May loved Ben infinitely, she found herself getting back into the dating life, because she deserved to be happy. And she knew Ben wouldn't mind; he'd want her to move on.

After trialling a few relationships, she found the right guy for her. She gave it a few months, but after finding out Peter had a secret identity, it felt like the right time to tell him.

Find out one secret, tell another.

Peter wasn't mad, of course he wasn't. He wanted his aunt to be happy as well. So when she told him, he accepted that his aunt wanted to move on and was optimistic about meeting her boyfriend.

And everything was fine.

For a while.

"This is Caleb Davidson, my boyfriend of seven months. He's a neurosurgeon, has a puppy and-"

"It's alright, May, I can introduce myself." The tall, blond man with green eyes and a noticeably muscly body smiled and offered his hand to Peter.

"Hi Caleb. I'm Peter." He smiled and shook the man's hand.

"Quite a grip you've got there."

"I could say the same."

May seemed happy with the interaction, and though something felt off about the Captain America lookalike with green eyes, Peter ignored it and was happy for her. Even if something felt off, Caleb had been nothing but kind to Peter, and made his aunt feel okay, so it was all okay.

Once Caleb left, May and Peter sat in front of the TV eating ice cream and lucky charms. The whole meeting process was sweet, and dinner, Chinese takeout, was nice. They all talked like they were a proper family. It was nice.

"How do we feel about Caleb? Do we larb him?"

"I only larb you May. Do you larb him?"

May shook her head. "Not yet, but I really like him. He wasn't weird about our apartment either, because he's a neurosurgeon so he's rich and has a beautiful house. He likes you too, said everything I said about you was definitely true. What do you think?"