I'm Hungry

Steve waited in the car, at Eddie's request, at the cemetery. Eddie got out, pulled one of Steve's old Hawkins High baseball caps down over his eyes, and made his way to the grave Steve pointed out. He approached it slowly and stood just staring at the ground for a long time before getting up the nerve to lift his eyes to the stone. It was plain and simple with just her name, date of birth, and date of death. Eddie knelt next to the grave and took a deep breath. He held it for several heartbeats then let it out slowly.

"I'm sorry, Chrissy," he said quietly. "I'm so sorry that I left you there. I'm sorry I ran away. I'm sorry that I couldn't save you." He reached out and traced a finger over her name on the headstone. "But I wanted to thank you for saving me, even if I didn't save you. I didn't deserve to be saved, but you did It anyway. I don't know how or why, but thank you, Chrissy."

Eddie heard voices and looked up to see two women stopping at another grave a few rows over. He stood up, pulled the cap down lower then hurried back to Steve's car, wiping tears from his cheeks as he went. He got in the car, his head down, and said nothing. Steve reached over and took his hand in his. Eddie squeezed his hand but didn't look up or speak. After a moment, Steve started the car and headed towards Eddie's trailer. When they got there, Steve parked and turned off the car. Eddie was still holding his hand and still had not spoken.

"Are you okay," Steve asked him. He nodded. "Do you want me to wait out here?"

"No," Eddie answered as he finally raised his head. "Come in with me. I just want to look around." Steve nodded once and they both got out of the car and went in. For a long time, Eddie stood in the middle of the room staring at the spot on the ceiling where Chrissy had died. "Did you know that I had a crush on her since middle school?"

"I didn't know that," Steve answered. "I didn't even know you knew each other."

"We never talked anymore once I left middle school." He inched closer to Steve. "Then I kind of forgot about her until she got to high school. But by then I was sleeping with other girls, and she was with Jason. I mean, she was still on my radar, but she became the Queen of Hawkins High, and I knew I never stood a chance with her, so I didn't put any effort into trying to get to know her."

"She would have loved you." Steve slipped an arm around Eddie's waist. "If she had given you a chance."

"She seemed really cool, and sweet, you know?" He looked up at Steve. "When we were hanging out that day, before she was killed. She was nice, and she laughed at my stupid jokes. And she told me I wasn't mean or scary."

Eddie broke down in tears and Steve wrapped his arms around him. He clung to Steve and cried, and Steve just held him. A few minutes later, when his tears finally stopped, he stepped out of Steve's embrace, his cheeks and eyes red, looking embarrassed. He wiped his eyes then headed for his bedroom. Steve hesitated, but then followed him.

Eddie turned in a circle. It was weird to him to see everything gone. "Your uncle took your things," Steve said. "Well, except the Hellfire shirt he gave me."

"My guitar?"

"He took the acoustic guitar, the one that slays dragons." Eddie gave him a sad smile. "The other was destroyed in The Upside Down. Dustin..." He stopped; not sure he should tell Eddie. But Eddie gave him a pleading look. "Dustin kept a piece of it, just a broken sliver of wood." Eddie nodded. He seemed pleased with that bit of information. "And he gave your pick, the one you wore around your neck, to your uncle."