The False Princess: Chapter 7

Her tutor was a tired old lady, Lorayna, who barely spoke above a whisper, and seemed content to have Demetria copy the alphabet over and over in a wax tablet until she felt as though her fingertips would bleed.

Kallia allowed her to rest long enough to eat a slice of the richest bread Demetria had ever seen, along with a wedge of cheese and a slice of ham.

"Sit up straight," Kallia ordered as she ate. "A lady does not slouch. You must act as though you have never gone hungry in your life. The way you carry yourself sends a message, and the straight back and upright posture scream nobility."

Demetria said nothing, forcing herself to slow down and follow Kallia's instructions. Her head hurt from trying to remember the names of all the letters, and the growling in her stomach sent a different type of pain shooting through her.

"I assume you have," Kallia said after a moment, "gone hungry, I mean."

Demetria nodded, taking a bite out of the cheese, and felt a rising tide of frustration as Kallia shook her head.

"A noble does not take bites out of their food like that." She said. "Break off a bite-sized piece and carry it to your mouth."

Demetria took a deep breath through her nose and broke a piece of the cheese off the wedge.

"Bring it to your mouth," Kallia said quickly. "Don't bend over to meet it."

Demetria set the cheese back down on her plate. "I'm full," she said. "What else do we need to do tonight?"

Kallia didn't even glance at her, continuing to eat quickly from her own plate. "Don't be foolish. You've had a long day and still have a great deal to do before you sleep, and tomorrow will be even longer. Besides, you'll want a full stomach tonight."

"What does that mean?" Demetria's eyes narrowed.

"Ever had wine?"

Demetria shook her head, and Kallia gave a small smile. "Well, wine is a common drink among princes and princesses, and we can't have you losing your head after you've had a few sips, can we?" She gestured toward the food. "Eat up, then you'll have a little more work on the alphabet before we find out how well you drink."

Demetria looked back at the food before her. She had been more than a little angry a few moments ago, but now her appetite really was gone. The magnitude of the task before her seemed to grow with every moment.

"Eat," Kallia ordered. "Or you'll regret it in the morning."

Demetria forced herself to swallow a few more mouthfuls, but soon pushed away the plate.

"I'm ready to get back to the alphabet," she said firmly, and met Kallia's glare with one of her own.

After a moment, Kallia shrugged. "Don't say I didn't warn you."

Her fingers felt little better when she returned to copying the alphabet, but after each set, Lorayna had her reciting the names and sounds of each letter, over and over, until her mind felt like soup.

Muria lit candles as darkness fell and they continued to work. Through the windows, the sounds of people moving through the courtyard filled the air, and Demetria recognized the faintly familiar sounds of work being put away and people retiring for the day; pens closing, fires being put out, doors being shut.

A pang went through her as she remembered the swath of wheat she'd left cut and lying on the ground. It was not likely that the Reeve had seen it all sheaved, likely he'd done just enough to protect himself, and left a significant portion to be ruined by the dew.