The Eden Compound (Chapter Eleven)

Chapter Eleven:

Siobhan got up to answer it, wondering who would knock. When she opened the door, she was surprised to see Keenan.

“Um, hey,” she said.

“Listen, I forgot to tell you in the car, but I have some bad news,” he said. Her hand almost slipped off the doorknob. Mom and Dad.

“Is it my parents?” she asked. He shook his head.

“No, they’re fine. It’s just… mind if I come in?” he asked. She stepped aside and closed the door behind him, heart pounding.

“What’s wrong?” Linn asked, getting off the bed to listen, her eyebrows furrowed.

“The president’s arrested a bunch of people on charges of conspiracy,” he said. “We’re thinking they were trying to incite some kind of rebellion over there.”

“Why would they do that?” Siobhan asked, frowning. Keenan stared at her like she was insane.

“The president’s more like a dictator,” he said. “Plus he’s totally unreasonable and a bigot, why wouldn’t they?”

“Right,” she said. Oops. I probably just sounded completely stupid.

“So?” Linn asked.

“So, this means that the Edenists are ready for whatever we can start!” There was a spark in his eyes Siobhan hadn’t seen before. “They’ve been talking about taking over there, now’s their chance.”

“Sounds good,” Siobhan said. “Why do they want to take over, though?” Why am I practically defending the Compound government? I’ve known the president’s a whack job since I first saw the news vlogs on him.

“Because they’re running out of money, funding everything,” he said. “Taxes only go so far. Unfortunately it’s not just idealistic reasons.”

“I didn’t know you were into political stuff,” Siobhan said, impressed. She had been the class anomaly since she actually cared about politics.

“Very,” he said. “I completely hate how-”

Linn cleared her throat, cutting him off.

“Get a room,” she said, disgusted. Siobhan and Keenan both went bright red. “Seriously. Like, I don’t mind hearing about the latest drama, but a political geekout is not going to happen while I’m listening.”

“Oh, grow up, Linn,” Siobhan said, joking. “I put up with you and Cory’s major PDA.” Linn blushed at that.

“Okay, there is no need to bring that up,” Linn said. Siobhan grinned.

“I’d better go, anyway,” Keenan said. “The governor’ll probably be interested to hear about this.”

And then he left, leaving Linn smiling triumphantly and Siobhan scowling while blushing.

“You guys were so close I swear you were about to kiss or something,” Linn said.

“Were not,” Siobhan said. “And I guess I have to thank you.”

Linn’s face was almost comical in the way her jaw dropped.

“I was purposefully trying to get you angry!” she said.

“I’m trying to stay away from Keenan, remember?” she said.

“Oh yeah…”

“Yeah.”

“I can’t talk you out of it, then?”

“Nope.”

An evil grin lit up Linn’s face. Siobhan knew that expression well. It was that expression that usually came before Linn tried to play matchmaker with Siobhan and whichever guy she thought would be good for Siobhan.

Siobhan just went and sat down on the bed and turned on the wallscreen, wondering what kind of channels the City got.