Story 1: Marth's Job I

12 Years Later

The graduation hall was noisier than a market square, everyone was busy with one or two things. Martha Job and her boyfriend, David Tobi, had sat next to each other taking lovely pictures. Some guests had binoculars in their hands while others blew horn to the graduands.

David gave Martha an unexpected peck on her right cheek, she just nodded her head; David was always this silly, but she loved him very much. They locked gaze and other graduands cheered at them. They had been her ladder to success all these years and she could take a tremendous step in her life without them in her life.

To Martha's right was the university Vice Chancellor, rector, Dean of studies, guidance counselors and all the other members of the prestige school faculty. They didn’t look as if they wanted to be here. Most of them had grumpy faces, especially her English Lecturer, Professor Charles Ezechukwu; whom was now a senior lecturer.

The M.C grabbed the microphone, requested that they filed out of their seats in rows and move towards the stage for certification. Before that, the student of the year would address them.

Martha and other graduands took their graduate presentation card with them which was handed to the presenter at the lectern. Their names were called upon, one after the order alphabetically as they proceeded towards the stage to take their seats.

“The student of the year is Martha Job! Let’s give our valedictorian a warm welcome.” The crowd clapped as the EmCee helped Maria on stage, not to fall on her six inches heels.

A round of applause filled the hall as Martha walked pass her mates, collected her card from the presenter respectfully and walked across the stage to the podium. The sight was simply amazing.

“Greetings to the Vice chancellor, Dean of studies, the head of departments, trustees, faculty members, family, friends and fellow graduates. Today is a day to be thankful and to be inspired.” she started.
“First, we are thankful to God Almighty for sparing our lives to witness such a great day. We have much to be thankful for. Here at Peterson Charity University, PCU, Gwarimpa Abuja. We have received a great education thanks to our able government, and our fine administration and lecturers. We are prepared to move on and to take on whatever challenges come next in our lives.”

In a blink, Martha's eyes shut as if remembering how she played hide and seek with Jerry and her dad, Job. Then she gently opened her eyes with a sigh.

“Fellow graduates, I want you to know what a substantial gift it is to be as prepared as we are, because not all schools offer such an advantage. This school has had a great deal of academic excellence and regardless of whether you plan to pursue more education or not, you will still benefit from what you learned here.” Twenty years old Martha held onto her chest. She batted her lashes as teas shone in her eyes. That didn’t stop her from completing the speech.

“We are thankful for our families. For those of us who still have them by ourside, are lucky indeed. And we who don’t, we are still thankful. These past four years have presented us with a lot of challenges and it is good to know that we had our families in our corner, supporting us along the way. Thanks Mum and Dad, wherever you are. I would not be here today without you.” She suddenly felt emotional as tears gathered her mascaraed eyes. Martha gazed directly at David, causing everyone else to look at him, too. He graved his lips with a sweetbitter smile.

“As for many of us who are orphans, whom our parents have been killed by the terrorist attack in Sokoto, Markurdi, Maiduguri, Birnin Kebbi and other states in Nigeria. May the soul of our lost parents be in the Lord’s care, in eternal peace and serenity.
Finally, I urge us to be thankful for each other. The friendships that we have made here are strong enough to last a lifetime. In the same way, we have supported each other and helped each other succeed in these years at Peterson Charity University, which is, so far, the first and only free education University in Nigeria. I hope we will continue to provide support and encouragement for each other in future endeavors.”