Chapter 6

I was panting heavily by the time I arrived in front of Boss's ornate door. I glanced down both sides of the hallway. Empty. Everyone must have left to help with The 7 Plan, at least I got lucky with that. Now I just hoped that Boss would be in his office, which I was starting to doubt. I glanced around the hallway: plush crimson rugs spilled across the floor, a glittered diamond chandelier drooping from the ceiling, and carved maple doors littered the hall. I looked out toward the window and caught a glimpse of the smoky, dirty mass of Division 1. It was shameful, so shameful that those people had to live in poverty and we had all these luxurious materials that we never even admired. This was ridiculous, it had to stop. Please let Boss be in there.

I pushed open the door and stomped in. His head snapped up, and icy blue eyes stared back at me astonished. He stared at me for a few more seconds, then his eyes softened; the iciness in them melting and morphing into a soft sapphire. Relief washed over his face.

"I knew you would come back Alatea," His voice inflicted no emotion, but I saw a smile twitching at the corner of his mouth. Why would he be relieved to see me? He tried to kill me! He did warn you not to go. I swatted the thought away; he didn't stop me, that's what mattered. I wasn't sure that he was on my side yet. For all I knew, that note could have been another one of his games. He frustrated me; I couldn't make sense of his actions.

I had so many questions swirling in my head, but I decided to be straight and to-the-point, I was tired of the guessing games. "Whose side are you on Boss?"

He glanced up at the clock, and his face creased with worry, like he was late for an appointment. He probably had to oversee the Plan with One soon.

"You have to leave Alatea. Right now. I can't talk at the moment." He grabbed my arm and tried to pull me out of the room. I stationed my hand on the wall for support and planted my feet firmly on the floor. I was determined to get my answer.

"I'm not leaving until you tell me."

He glanced at the clock again, then begged, "Please Alatea. You need to go. We can talk about this later. Meet me at ten tonight, in the -"

"No! I need to know Boss, right now. I need to know if I have to save these people alone, or if you're going to be there to help me. Just tell me."

He shook his head slowly, in amazement, and his mouth turned slightly upwards. "You are more of a Determinator than I will ever be Alatea. You deserve to be on this team, I don't."

What was he talking about? Did he think that I would be a better leader than him? Is that why he threw me off the ship, did he think that I was going to try and take his position? But then again, why would he be jealous if he knew he didn't belong on this team?

"Does that mean you agree with me?"

He ignored my question, like he didn't want to answer it out loud. He started to nudge me out of the room. "We are all controlled by someone else Alatea, whether it be the P-chips or not. None of us are really free."

"Only if you give those other people the power to control you," I countered, pushing back against his grip, "If you truly believe in something that's right, then you should fight for it and not give a damn about anyone else."

He stopped pushing and nodded his head, smiling proudly at me, "That's exactly why you belong on this team and I don't Alatea. I wish I had the determination that you do, but I believe it is too late for me," he paused to look up at the clock then continued, "You know what I do believe though?"

"What?" I was astonished that he thought so highly of me, temporarily forgetting why I was here in the first place.

"I believe you are going to fix this injustice and save these people," then he lowered his voice so that it was barely audible, "that is what I'd want you to do." I was shocked, and a tingling feeling spread through my heart - the pride of knowing that someone else believes. So he did support me, but something still didn't make sense.