Chapter 21

TW: RAPE

TW: RAPE

The smell in the air was musky. It smelled like an old basement. I could feel the blood running down my neck, and my head felt like it was going to explode. Twisting my wrist, I felt the squeeze of duct tape. I realized I was strapped down in a chair. I grunted in pain as I slowly began to open my eyes, blinking away the little black balls. I shook my hair from my face, taking in the appearance of the room. To my right and left, there were nothing but old antiques. Someone needed better taste. The walls were man-made, lined with tin and wood panels. I could feel the presence of another person in the room. I looked in front of me and noticed a table and, on the other end, a middle-aged man.

I took in his appearance. He wasn't a bad-looking man. He looked like he was in his early forties, with small slivers of gray showing in his hair. His face was clean-shaven, and I could smell the aftershave from a few feet away. He was dressed in a blue button-up. Wherever we were, he looked a hell of a lot better than I did. The man stood from his chair, making his way over toward me. I felt my body begin to shake as he drew a knife from his hip. I forced myself to show no emotion. I wouldn't give him the satisfaction of seeing me scared.

He pointed the tip of his knife at the tape around my wrist. Slowly, I nodded at him. I watched as he cut away at the tape before I pulled my wrists into my lap, rubbing the red skin. The man made his way back to the other side of the table before grabbing the chair.

"May I?" I didn't say anything as he took his seat. Something about him didn't sit right with me.

"Wanna tell me where y'all come from? You tell me, and we'll drive y'all there." I watched as he got that familiar glint in his eye. I knew that look wasn't good.

"I wanna talk to Maggie and Glenn." I choked out. The man slowly slid forward, placing his wrist on the table and interlocking his fingers.

"That can't happen. You'll be safe, I promise." He shrugged his shoulders and let his lips form into a small grin. I shook my head and looked at the ground.

"Let's try something else." He stood from his seat, making his way to the door. I listened as he banged his fist on the metal. The door slowly opened as he spoke with the person behind it.

"Stand up, please." I could hear the tone shift in his voice; the nice guy act quickly fell.

"Stand up." I knew what was coming, and I refused to let it happen to Maggie. I've been through this before, and I can handle it again. I sighed and shoved the chair back. The man made his way to my side. He was a little taller than Daryl, but he was more intimidating. I fought as he shoved me forward, telling me to bend over the table and grab both sides. That sent me into fight mode. I kicked him in the shin and tried to make my way to the door. His hand grabbed my ponytail, forcing me against his body.

"I knew that would rile you up. I heard it from a little friend of mine." There were only two people on the planet who knew what my dad made me do. I started clawing at the man's hands, shaking my head. I needed to get out of here. The man behind me chuckled as he forced me to the table. Using one hand, he placed both of my hands on opposite sides of the table and pulled my head up to rest my chin against the wood. I could hear myself breathing heavily. I was on the verge of a panic attack.