Chapter 9: Kelna

Raia was the first to wake up and sit on the small bench in front of the wonderful stone cottage on top of a hill. She was holding a mug with the tea still steaming, with both hands trying to soak in the aroma of the cherries growing above her head, on a large old tree.

"Good morning," Ailen joined her with a cup of coffee and smiled when he saw the sunrise. "You never sleep in?"

"Good morning."

"We haven't really had the chance to talk. I have to ask about Azram and my family."

"Sure, ask away."

"How are they?"

"Well, your mother is not a nice person. She was forbidden from seeing Azram after she broke four of his ribs. The reason she did that was that he had magic runes drawn on him, anti-summoning runes, just like Kell and I."

"Why would he do that?"

"Because he was present when I was being summoned by someone and he panicked. I think they were just trying to be supportive."

"My sister?"

"I never met her, but I think she will start school in about a year."

"Good." Ailen drank some of his coffee before speaking again. "And just how close were you with Azram?"

"Very close. I think we bonded mostly because of our loss."

"Loss?"

"You guys." She pouted her lips. "Neither of us managed to deal with it properly, so we leaned on each other to heal the wounds, you could say. After getting his ribs broken Azram came to live with me, first because he had nowhere else to go and then he stayed because we got together. We were actually planning on moving into a bigger space when we returned home."

Ailen remained silent for a while, probably soaking in the information. "You are a cruel person, Raia."

"We both are, Ailen."

"I know, that is why I understand you. There was no way or reason for you to return there except for Azram, but also know that he stood no chance when Gabriel showed up."

"You think I am so weak?"

"You are, Raia, but not because you can't be without Gabriel, but because you can. You chose Gabriel over him and that is the cruelty you have to live with."

Raia tried to think of something to say, her thoughts swirled in her mind like a hurricane, but all she could was agree with him. "At the risk of sounding like I pity myself I have to say that I wish I could just be free of judgment for one damn time in my life. Both choices were bad, if I returned to Veritas then I'd have chosen Azram over Gabriel, that would have sucked as well. If I left them both I would also be a bad person. Nothing I ever do is good enough and I am so tired of feeling guilty for existing."

"I didn't say I blame you."

"You are just making sure I was aware I hurt your brother. Don't worry I am aware."

"Do you want to walk around the village?" Ailen suddenly asked placing the cup on a small table placed close to the door.

"I'll come with." Gabriel leaned through the window. "Good morning."

Gabriel almost always smiled. When talking to people his face was blessed with such a nice smile it was difficult to think of him as a villain.

Raia noticed that he spoke to people with such emotion in his voice which made them respond kinder than they did to their own children. And when he spoke those weren't conversations of great importance, the last one concerned the purchase of apples. At first, she just observed, trying to see his eyes and his lips in hope of figuring out what was that made it so special, but to her, it seemed just like every other smile.