FOUR

"please take me anywhere but home."

"You're sure this is a good idea, Ten?" the Princess spoke with doubt. She sat in the tan leather seats of a private jet, courtesy of the Republic, looking out the window. It wasn't often she rode in airplanes, let alone traveled outside of the Jade Kingdom. The most she would do is travel to other parts of China, but she knew her country was the most dangerous place to be in right now.

It had been two weeks since the attack. Meilin, Yangyang, and Ten had fled the kingdom minutes after the incident. This was something they had all prepared for— just as the worst case scenario. They spent the last fourteen days in a vacation home off the coast of China facing the sea that separated them and South Korea. They knew they couldn't stay there long; they would find them easily.

"It's the only idea we've got. There's very few shifter-centric cities in our surrounding areas. Hong Kong denied us, same with any city in Japan. The Neo Elemental Republic is nearby, they have everything we would need to keep you out of the enemy's range." Ten explained. "They've captured a Sujo Clan member before. I think we'll have all the help you need." The first sightings of the clan were in the outskirts of the Republic, the city of Jaegu. Meilin heard about the news briefly, but it wasn't until the past year that the clan had made a hard launched reappearance.

"Are you not excited, Mei-Mei? You were born in the Republic, you're finally visiting your home!" Yangyang exclaimed. He would be lying if he said he wasn't jealous. The boy grew up only knowing the fields of green that went on for miles, while his sister was born in a city full of people like him and more.

"I barely remember the place. I've also grown not fond of the city life. Why would you want to live somewhere so busy when you could settle down with nature?" she wondered out loud. It was true, the only memories she had of the place were insignificant. She left before she hit double digits and before she could really form a connection to the place. I mean, who would miss it if they were a Princess elsewhere?

"You're such an old head, Mei-Mei. There's so much more out there! I can finally buy a gaming console- isn't that crazy? Or, I can download music on my phone, legally. No more scratchy vinyls." the older one cheered.

"Glad one of you is excited. We're fifteen minutes away. Cheer up, Princess. It's not as bad as you think." Ten had been to the Republic twice for work, but wasn't quite familiar with the place either. The most notable detail about his visits were the change in energy he experienced. People weren't lying when they said the Republic was the place spirituality thrived; maybe enough to get the Princess' shifting back.

Meilin looked down at her outfit. A long, sage colored dress touched the top of her ankles. Her hair was down and naturally pin straight. Along her wrists were bangles of gold, as well as gems of jade, obviously. Her neck was also adorned with sparkling gold. It was a chain that fell just at her collarbones with a pendant hanging at the end. She had whatever makeup she had packed in her emergency exit bag applied on her face and her signature perfume sprayed on her chest. If you didn't know she was a princess, you definitely would assume so.

She looked at the window as the airplane began to decline. From a distance, she could see the sea turning into buildings, busy streets surrounding them. She didn't quite know what to feel. Meilin knew she was from the Republic, she knew it was technically home— but she didn't quite remember anything. From a young age, her mother told her the Republic was no good. They were corrupt, there was no way all four elements could remain in harmony forever. Meilin never believed her, but never denied her.

Before the three knew it, they stepped outside of the airplane and took their first steps onto Korean soil. A newfound heaviness weighed itself onto Meilin's shoulders. A man passed by, carrying two luggages in either of his hands. He gently bumped into her momentarily and when Meilin turned an eye to him, his face contorted into terror. "I-I'm sorry, Princess Meilin." he quickly bowed.

While his remained terrified, hers turned into confusion. "It's alright, I'm sure I was in your way. Thank you for helping us with our luggage." she sent him a kind smile. She watched as he rolled away, catching up with the rest of the crew.

That wasn't the first look of horror that she was met with. While she made her way to a black vehicle, she felt many eyes burning holes into her silhouette. Ten rushed the two into the back seat, quickly shutting the door behind them.

"Are you feeling what I'm feeling?" she nudged her brother whose face hadn't wavered from a cheeky grin. "Admiration? Of course! We're like celebrities here, the girls can't keep their eyes off of me!" he cheered, pulling his phone out of his pocket. Meilin's eyes lowered in response, looking out the window as the car began to drive. "I don't think it's admiration, idiot." she grumbled.

It was nine in the morning. The sun was risen high and mighty, not a cloud in sight. The Republic air felt different, heavier even. Meilin pondered if it were just more humid, or more polluted. As they exited the terminal, they were met with even more skyscrapers and yellow cabs passing by. If the Jade Kingdom were a forest, the Republic was a concrete maze. The sidewalks bustled with people in blazers and coffee in their hands. All of a sudden, the car made an abrupt stop, a drawn out honk following.

"Excuse me if you feel discomfort. It's not easy driving in this city." the driver apologized, catching a view of Meilin's pale face in the rear view mirror. Sure, Meilin's complexion was always porcelain, but it was a couple shades lighter as she clutched her stomach, a queasy feeling bubbling.

"Is it normal to feel sick in these vehicles?" she gawked, swallowing down a bitter taste. Ten let out a laugh, glancing down at the estimated time of arrival on the GPS.

"Welcome to the Republic, Princess."

"The Princess has arrived safely. She should be here shortly." the news had been delivered to the five sat at the same oval table. There were guards lining the Capitol building, as well as the door that led into the meeting room.

Seorin wore a black turtle neck under her blazer, sipping on her third bottle of water of the morning. The four boys were dressed similarly, ties done around their necks. Jisung and Jaemin had tense shoulders, their jaw clenching in preparation of what was to come. Meanwhile, Mark had nothing but curiosity running through his head.

And of course, General Lee didn't have much going on up there.

He had thoughts, but none exactly pertaining to what was in store in the next ten minutes. His carnelian eyes were droopy, legs shaky and sore. To be honest, he hadn't been all too present for the last two years.

If you asked him a question, you had to anticipate asking again. Many assumed it could be hearing loss, but none bothered to pry at it. If you wanted to make plans with him, you had to practically beg. His excuses were always persistent, becoming a slave to not only the military, but his bed on days off. The smile that used to reach his eyes merrily had gotten lost in the last two years.

"Remember what we discussed. Once the conversation goes in the direction of war, Jeno will take it from there." Jaemin reminded everyone, making the General look up emptily. He nodded in response, but before his mind could wander off elsewhere, the sound of the doorknob turning caught everyone's attention.

The double doors opened and with the clacking of heels, it were as of the gates of heaven opened. It was like a ray of light were arriving with the scent of florals following. The energy was different. The shine of pin straight hair distorted as footsteps approached the oval table. The train of the sage green dress dragged slightly along the floor. Alas, the careful expression shifted into a soft smile onto rosy lips. Meilin's orbs scanned the room, studying each and every face that stared at her right back— some with angst, others with awe.

"My name is Princess Liu Meilin of the Jade Kingdom. It's an honor to be in your presence."

four— anywhere but home; seulgi

i know things are going slow. i promise it will get more eventful lol