SIX

"hoping my 20 somethings won't end
hoping to keep the rest of my friends
praying the 20 somethings don't kill me."

"Mei-Mei, this isn't going to work," Yangyang huffed, following the just as frustrated girl into the car. Meilin's eyebrows furrowed together, looking out the window as the car started. "What else was I supposed to do? It's my word against the five of them." she frowned.

"You need to be more assertive. Mom always said-"

"I don't care what mom said." her sad expression turned into an annoyed one. Meilin glared at him through the rear view mirror, not knowing he could see it. "Mom is dead because of the way she handled things. I'd rather not end up like her." she said lowly as Ten stepped into the passengers seat. "It's a win for now. If you don't want to be like your mother, you have to accept things for what they are— they aren't always going to go your way. We're lucky they're giving us shelter." he grumbled, watching the car drive out of the parking spot.

Things could be worse, she thought to herself. She looked down at her hands that were covered by mittens, not wanting to see them without the fabric. It was almost freezing in the Republic during the January afternoon. The Jade Kingdom never experienced a true winter. The grass was green all year around and the temperature never dropped too low. Though things could be worse, they were definitely different. Meilin could never tell if she liked change.

"Where are we staying? Did they tell you?" she asked Ten as he watched the navigator closely. "Not quite. They said it's government property. A townhouse, I believe is what they call it. They did mention that since it was on government property, there would be someone on watch- for the sake of your safety and theirs." he continued. Meilin's face became puzzled at the last statement. "Their safety and ours?" she questioned.

"To make sure you aren't caught by any outside threats, as well as to ensure you wouldn't plot against them." he rolled his eyes lousily, memorizing each turn the car made. Ten was attentive to detail, already memorizing the street signs and landmarks. He always believed familiarity could be an advantage when in foreign land. Meilin's lips pouted slightly, watching the buildings pass her by. They all looked the same, just some with different names plastered at the top.

"Do you think they'll trust me? One day?" she pondered. It wasn't the most curious sounding question, but a sorrow filled one. She couldn't seem to shake the tone Park Jisung talked to her in, nor the clenched jaw of Na Jaemin. General Lee was respectful in his own way, but his distrust made her uneasy. Baek Seorin was undoubtedly her favorite. Mark Lee... was silent. She remembered each and every one of them, replaying their words— or lack thereof— in her head like a broken record.

Ten examined her face in the mirror. In her now brown eyes was the same look of a child. It was a reminder that she was still not of age to become a queen. He knew there was a sense of naïveté, something juvenile behind that face. Meilin was still the same kid to him.

"Let's not worry about it right now." Yangyang smiled, resting his head on her shoulder. Despite their usual sibling quarrels, the two shared a warm relationship. Yangyang knew his sister. He knew Meilin had big emotions even if she didn't realize it. Being annoying was his love language.

I hope so, Princess, Ten thought silently.

"I don't get paid enough for this." Jeno huffed. On the ground was a suitcase he rarely ever unpacked, opening it more than the dresser in his shared room. Renjun looked down from the top bunk at the familiar scene. Jeno was leaving again.

"I definitely think you do." the snug boy chuckled, setting his alarm for the next morning. "You don't have to wipe shit from old people's asses. You actually get to use your shifting at work." Renjun wasn't bitter, but he admired the man's career. He was a nurse at the hospital, the boss of his unit. Work wasn't the most fun, but it would be a complete drag if Miyeon hadn't stopped by for shipments every other week, or if he didn't eat lunch with Minseo every shift in the pavilion.

"Work is a loose term." the tired one groaned, struggling to zip up the stuffed luggage. You would think he'd size down on the load, but he practically packed his life away each work trip. He was on the floor of a room he called his own, but didn't feel like his own. He rolled the luggage behind him into the hallway, soundly as people fell into slumbers. He knew one person would be awake, turning the knob of the room on the end.

"Headin' out again? Already?" the boy's eyes didn't move from his screen, mouse clicking as he edited footage for a video. At Jeno's feet was the same fluffy white dog who he never saw too often. He leaned down, petting the fluffy head of fur. "Leader's orders." he spoke briefly, looking around the at the dark room.

"Lease is ending soon, huh? Everyone's really going their separate ways this year." Jeno mumbled. It was time the group of friends finally started looking for their own places. Each of them had their own jobs, most people's schedules didn't line up. Someone was bound to wake the whole house up too early with a blaring alarm. Chenle turned around in his chair, giving Jeno a soft smile.

"Renjun and I are looking for places together. He said as long as our rooms are on opposite ends of the house and the walls are soundproof, we're roommates until one of us gets married." he laughed. Jeno laughed too, but the feeling in his chest bore heavily.

It seemed like everyone had their memories in this house, but he didn't quite make any. Instead of reminiscing on parties and nights at the bonfire, he was fighting with his own fire. The beginning of his twenties weren't fond moments. The thought made the air grow warm and his breaths cold. He shook the feeling off quickly.

"I didn't even say goodbye to Minseo and Hyuck when they moved out." he stated plainly, the house one room emptier since last year. "Don't stress it. Have you seen their place? Hyuck really does have superstar money." Chenle spoke with excitement, thinking about the practical mansion.

Jeno's expression remained the same, but that melancholic feeling grew. "I haven't had time, I just got back three months ago." he shook his head, forcing a weak smile. Chenle hummed in response, standing up and walking towards the leaner man. To his surprise, Jeno was in a warm embrace. His eyes widened slightly, giving the smaller one a pat on the back.

"We're really grown up, dude. There's always room for you if you wanna move in with Renjun and I." Chenle laughed once more. It never changed from that same laugh he had in high school.

They were now a bit taller, voices deeper. The fuzz on their faces grew faster now. Their hands were a bit more roughened. Jeno didn't know where the time went; when him and his friends really grew up. He was starting to think he wasn't around to see it. He was leaving again, while they still had one another.

"I'll take up on that offer, airhead." Jeno chuckled genuinely.

Before he knew it, he left. His back was turned to the front door more than he was in the house. He was in his car again, driving to another place he didn't know the directions to. At this point, he had lived in at least four different places every year. This time, it wasn't far at all. It was only a fifteen minute drive along the river. It also wasn't to fight and train— he was done with that in the meantime. Little did he know he was getting himself into a battle that required more strength than any war he fought in before.

"General Lee?"

six— 20 something; sza

inferno babies growing up :")