Prologue

**This is written with Y2V1 in mind and takes place at that timeline. **

Satou Maya's POV

I don't know when my feelings for her started leaning this way. Or what led it to change in the first place.

After all, until recently, she's always been a friend to me. A friend who I can confide in. A friend with whom I can be my real self. A friend who's been and will always be there for me.

That's how we've always been so I'd rather die than let her know about these gruesome feelings of mine and be the cause of a rift in our relationship. Moreover, she's already dating someone who also happened to be a reliable one that could take care of her in a way I, her "best friend" can't.

So I will just keep playing my role and support her and their relationship like I always do. Or at least if it wasn't for a cruel twist of fate, that's how it should be.

———

Saturday

"I wonder what is all of that about," I muttered to myself as I started applying my make-up.

Earlier this morning, I received a call from Karuizawa-san, asking if she could meet me. Although I feel reluctant to do so, for her to not notice my feelings, I have to act like how I've always been. Hence I decided to tell her that since our previous special exam just ended, I've yet to have any summer plans for our long-awaited break.

Sounding relieved, she then sent me the location and time we would meet up. After that, we started chatting about the latest fashion trends and the upcoming holiday sales. And during our conversation, I can't help but notice that something feels off about her. She didn't seem to be enthusiastic as usual. If anything, she sounds lethargic. Though as much as I wanted to ask her about this, our call just ended without me being able to brace myself and do it.

"You coward." I heard someone whisper to me. Seeing that I'm the only one here earlier, it's surely just some sort of shoulder angel that I've seen in fiction as a child.

I tried to not let myself be bothered with what it said. Besides...

"I already know that I'm that sort of person without anyone telling me that."

After I finished preparing myself, I decided to take a stroll on Keyaki Mall as there's still an hour before my designated time to meet up with Karuizawa-san. And while I'm doing some window shopping, I run into someone unexpected.

"Good afternoon, Ayanokouji-kun." I greeted the said person.

"Yes, good afternoon to you as well, Satou." He replied, turning his gaze to me.

After exchanging pleasantries, I asked him what he was doing in front of the boutique to feed my curiosity about him and Karuizawa-san not being together on a beautiful weekend like this. After all, Summer break just started last week so I was pretty sure they'd use it to spend time together like other couples do.

"Regarding that, Haruka and Airi asked me to accompany them on their shopping. I guess they want to hear a guy's opinion. Though I honestly think that it'd be better if they ask someone like Yousuke."

"You really like to underestimate yourself, huh. Still, won't Karuizawa-san get jealous if she hears you going on a date with them instead of her?"

I only meant it as a jest but Ayanokouji-kun's expression remained stern. Err, I mean he's always been like this but I think I just made the atmosphere awkward. Now, stop babbling to yourself, and go ahead and apologize real quick, Satou Maya! Though before I was able to do that, he spoke. "Could it be that she still hasn't told you?"

"What do you mean?" I was bewildered by what he said.

"No, actually forget what I said. I think it'd be better to hear it from her."

Huh? Hear what from her exactly?

"On a side note, Satou, for Karuizawa, do you perhaps..."

Ayanokouji-kun suddenly tried to change the subject, directing it to me. It's as if he had read the feelings I'd been trying so hard to hide.

I prepared myself for what was about to come but—

"Kiyopon!~~ Here, look at this. What do you think of this plaid pinafore? Does it suit me?" Hasebe-san suddenly appeared before us.

"Umm, Haruka-chan, Kiyotaka-kun is still talking to Satou-san. We can't just barge in like that." Sakura-san reprimanded her, though in a gentle manner.

"Uhh, well, you're right, Airi, but the atmosphere seems awkward so I just...Anyway, sorry, Satou-san, but can I borrow Kiyopon for a moment? I promise it won't take long."

"No, it's okay, Haruka. Satou and I have already finished our conversation." Ayanokouji-kun said as he turned to me, seeking my affirmation.

"That's right," I nodded.

Or so he said, when in fact our conversation was just really interrupted. But I guess I could consider this as my lucky day. After all, I managed to avoid being probe by Ayanokouji-kun

"Well, I also have to go now. Have fun. " I smiled at them.

After exchanging goodbyes, Ayanokouji-kun started talking to Hasebe-san and Sakura-san.

Though that aside...

"Karuizawa, huh.."

The way he addressed Karuizawa-san only ignited the bad omen I've been feeling since earlier. At least in my case, I have my reasons for not calling Karuizawa-san by her first name despite being her best friend for almost three years. But Ayanokouji-kun, her boyfriend of all people, he...Just what is his reason for calling her that? I mean, it's not like he is still hiding the fact that he and Karuizawa-san are dating. They already revealed their relationship in our 2nd year and while some were bewildered by it, and even jealous of him, they weren't exactly opposed to the relationship.

"Ugh, I don't like this feeling..." I was so nervous earlier about what he was going to ask me that I forgot to comment on that.

*Bzzt* *Bzzt*

I heard my phone's vibrations. I checked and it turns out to be a message from Karuizawa-san telling me that she already reserved a seat for the two of us. Seeing her text, I immediately made my way to the designated place.

———

As I arrived at the cafe where we are supposed to meet, I started looking around, searching for Karuizawa-san.

I saw her sitting on the window seat with her chin on her wrist. She's wearing a plain white tee with checkered paper bag shorts. A very casual yet fashionable outfit to wear in summer. It's just what I expected from her.

Before I knew it, I was observing her head to toe, that if I was a guy, I'd be mistaken for a pervert. Fortunately, she hasn't seen me doing so. Feeling my face flushing out from embarrassment, I tried to take a deep breath before calling her out.

"Karuizawa-san."

"Oh, good afternoon, Satou-san. Take a seat." I nodded at her before taking my seat, and she continued, "I'm sorry for suddenly asking you to come here."

"Oh, come on. Instead of sorry, shouldn't I be getting something else instead?" Hearing me say that, she smiled sweetly and expressed her gratitude. It seems like my attempt to ease her feelings worked. 

"Um, this happened over a week ago and sorry that it took a while, it's just I'm not exactly sure how to bring it up." Seeing her eyes linger all over the place as if she doesn't know which words to use had tensed me up. Dammit, this is exactly what I meant when I said I had a bad feeling. "You see, the thing is, me and Kiyo–I mean Ayanokouji-kun, had broken up."

I couldn't process what she said immediately; however as soon as I did, I couldn't help myself but let out a yell.

"YOU WHAT?!"

I swear to god, the strings of fate really loves to mess with me. 

Author's Note:

I'm not exactly sure if I will ever continue this lol. I just wanted to upload it since it has been stuck on my google docs since 2021.