Chapter 2

Lucinda

I lie in bed and wait for Caiden to come to me. I know better than to make the first move. I did that once, and I won't be doing it again anytime soon.

My thoughts drift to Cody—my fearless best friend, who always had my back, regardless of the circumstances.

When there is a light tap on the door, my ears perk up.

"Lucinda." Caiden's voice cracks.

After one of his blackout sessions, he struggles to piece things together for a while. He once explained that the experience is similar to waking up from a coma after several years and not knowing what's reality versus a dream. Dylan jokingly called him Mr. Grimes, and now in these types of moments, we refer to him as RG. I'm not sure if he's picked up on it yet, though.

The corners of my mouth tug up as I crack the door and peek through the small opening. Caiden stands with his shoulders slumped and his head rolled forward.

I open the door wider and lean against the doorjamb, studying Caiden's forced movements. "Hey."

"I-I'm sorry," he says and blows out a chest of air. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine."

"Did— What happened?" He runs his hands through his hair and curls his fingers, digging into his scalp.

"Nothing happened." I swing the door open and collapse into his chest.

My wolf has been deprived of her mate long enough.

"I love you," he whispers and kisses the top of my head. "If I ever hurt you—"

"You would never hurt me."

"You don't know that."

Pulling back, I stare into his eyes. "I do. And if—and that's a big if—anything were to ever happen, then it wouldn't be you in control. You know that, right? It would be the beast. He isn't you. You aren't him. You aren't a beast."

His head leans forward against mine, and my stomach flutters in anticipation of his touch.

I need him as much as he needs me for balance. I haven't figured out how he balances me yet, but I know he does. I'm not cursed with a raging beast like him, but I'm much calmer in his presence. And his touch is still my personal security blanket.

Lately, he hasn't been making it to bed at night, either working late on patrol or out in the forest to run off some extra dominance issues. He says it's the beast he struggles with, but sometimes, I wonder if it isn't me. Dylan jokes that I'm too dominant.

"You weren't in bed when I came home last night," he says. "I was worried."

"I left you a note."

He smirks. "Yes, I saw that. What did you use to write on the mirror?"

"Dry erase marker."

His eyebrow raises and my lips pucker.

"Well, and I borrowed some of Mia's red lipstick for the kiss."

He leans in close and whispers against my lips, "Does she know?"

"Does it matter?" My lips brush over his, and my veins pulse.

I trace my fingers up his chest and wrap my arms around his neck. I need him.

With a flick of my tongue, I tease his throbbing lips.

His lips part, and I'm granted entrance. Strong hands grab my hips and slip under my shirt. When his fingers touch my bare skin, a fire ignites in my body, and I press my chest closer into his.