twelve

wc: 4526warnings: discussion of past trauma

wc: 4526
warnings: discussion of past trauma

it had been a week since donica received the message from her parents. they left the messages pretty cryptic but basically asking if they could meet up to talk. for the first day or two she contemplated if she should go or not. carden sat with her the entire time letting her know that even if she didn't want to go that was absolutely fine, but she wanted to.

so this is how she ended up where she was now; sitting in the car with carden on the way to the cafe they chose to meet up at. she fiddled with her thumbs the entire time as she felt like her heart might pound out of her chest. to say she was nervous was an understatement. she wasn't nervous about seeing them again, she was nervous about her emotions. she couldn't even remember the last time she truly broke down and she feared them seeing her in that position; weak and still that six year old little girl they turned their backs on.

carden took notice of her nervousness and placed his hand over hers. honestly he was fuming. he couldn't understand how after all these years they come back and disturb her peace. he hated seeing her like this and it was starting to break his heart.

"doni we can always turn back around. remember you owe them nothing." he spoke gripping the steering wheel.

"i know but i do owe it to myself. maybe doing this might heal my inner child. it'll hurt, but the outcome will be better." she smiled up at him.

he looked at her for a second examining her expression. though she smiled, it didn't feel real. it felt more like she was trying to convince herself as well as him.

carden let out a sigh as they pulled up to the front of the cafe. it was big enough for nobody to listen in on their conversation as well as being able to point them out in the large crowd.

"alright baby, i'll be right out here waiting for you. let me know if you need me to come out, i'm not playing. don't try to keep a strong face with me either." he lectured.

"alright, alright," she huffed playfully rolling her eyes.

he smiled and pulled her in and kissed her forehead then placed a tender one to her lips; letting his thumb trace her bottom lip after. holding her head in his hands made him not want to let her go in. he didn't want to see her hurting. she noticed his hesitation and gently removed his hands and smiled at him.

"i'll be alright, i promise." she comforted.

he nodded and watched her leave the car and enter the cafe. when she entered and looked around for them. once she saw them sitting at a table in the corner she took a deep breath before walking over.

feeling her presence they both looked up and their faces looked to cheer up a bit, especially her fathers. "donica, look at how much you've grown!" he gasped getting up seemingly wanting a hug or a closer look.