D3

2011

"Bitch that dress looks so good on you!" Imani yells looking me up and down flirtatiously.

"Thank you my love, you can take it off me later if you'd like." I flirt back shamelessly.

Zee walks by and hits the back of my head "Thats what got you knocked up the first time, Aph."

"Oh hush you. Leave me and my wife alone." Before he can retort back my mama walks up to the three of us.

"As much as I love watching you girls give my mother a heart attack, it's almost time for the ceremony, and somebody wants to congratulate you all." She moves aside to show KJ holding onto her pant leg nervously.

"Mommy! You pretty! Auntie pretty! Uncle tall!"

"Thank you baby!" I chuckle at his compliments.

"They get pretty but I get tall? I see how it is Lee."

"You are tall though Zeke." Mani laughs with me.

————-
Skip to after ceremony.
————-

I spot my mother standing with my grandparents and siblings. May see's me first. "D! You look pretty in the purple!"

"Look at you, little miss orange!" I gush at my baby sister.

"Titi, you made it!" I whisper as my Grandmother walks toward me, KJ atop her shoulders.

"Of course dear, you didn't think I'd miss this did you?" I smile big as i engulf her in a hug. "I didn't miss your father's, I wouldn't dare miss yours."

"I know."

"And your father is here, I can feel it."

"I feel it too." I whisper, a tear rolling down my face.

"Ok Tina, you're hogging my grandbaby." Me and Titi laugh at my Papaw, as she detaches herself from me and ushers me toward them.

"Gran, Papaw, thank you so much for coming!" I walk over to greet my grandparents only to stop short when my grandmother moves away.

Papaw turns his attention to Bea scoldingly, causing me to awkwardly glance around.

"My gorgeous girl, moving up in the ranks." I smile awkwardly as Michael boasts aloud, distracting me from my grandmother's rudeness.

"Thank you, Pop." He smiles knowingly and gives me a singular nod of understanding.

"Congratulations dear, we are all so undeniably proud. Kevin would have been the loudest to cheer had he had the chance." Miss Anne states, holding Kj on her back.

I kiss her cheek as a singular tear slides down her face. "I know Ma."

"I don't think he'd let something as small as death stop him from cheering for his girl." Howie chuckled, wrapping his arm around me. "Congratulations Carter, you're in the big leagues now."

•••

"Congratulations sweetheart, you've earned it."

"GO BABE! THATS MY GIRL!"