Chapter one(1)

"Ma, wake up. Your alarm keeps going off."

"What time is it?" I ask sleepily.

"What time does your alarm go off mom?" Kj asks tiredly.

"7:30."

"Then thats what time it is. Come on ma you're gonna be late." He grabs my outstretched arm and pulls me to sit up. "Grandad's outside, he said he'll take me and Sage to school."

"Im up, I'm up. Are you ready for school? Lunch? Lunch money? Pencil, paper? Is Sage up?" He just nods until im done talking.

"Yes ma'am. Ok we've gotta go, just wanted to make sure you weren't late to work. Love you, see you tonight." He kisses my cheek and sprints out the door, Sage jumping off the couch to follow.

"Morning Ris! I fed Luna!"

"Good morning Sage. And thank you my love."

I walk to the door as they're getting in the car, waving to Michael, May, and Harry. "Morning kid, you sleep good?" Michael asks jokingly, no doubt noticing my disheveled appearance as I walk closer to the car.

"Almost didn't wanna wake up." I reply, leaning against May's door. "Morning May-May." I speak kissing her cheek.

"Morning D." She nods back tiredly.

"Well once you're awake, your mom cooked breakfast. I grabbed the kids a plate to eat on the way." I smile thankfully at Michael as Kj and Sage eat the pancakes in the back seat.

"Thank you. Really." He waves me off.

"Morning little man. You ready for school?"

"Morning Ditey. And yup mom got me a spiderman bookbag for school, im gonna be the coolest boy in school."

"I bet you are kid. Well I've gotta get ready for work and you four need to be getting to school, so I love you all, and have a good day back."

They all five said forms of I love you as they pulled down the street.

—————

"I heard there was breakfast."

"Plates in the stove." I hear my mother yell from somewhere in the house. Following her voice, I found her in her bedroom getting dressed.

"Im so tired!" I groan falling onto her bed.

"Another one?"

"The closer his birthday gets, the worse they get. It just scares me's all."

"I wish I could tell you it gets better, but I still have dreams about your father. Not as frequent, but still as painful."

I nod sadly to my mother. Hating that we'd both went through the exact same thing. "Howies got this probie, apparently he's like a puppy." I laugh to lighten the mood.

"He'll get it eventually, give him time to learn baby. Have you even met him properly?"

"No. Howie came over last night and we talked about him a bit."

"Maybe he'll surprise you. Go eat something before we leave."

"Yes ma'am, sergeant Grant." I mock salute, standing from her bed. "Do you have any orange juice?"

"Surprisingly yes. Between you, May, and Harry, i don't know how we keep any." Mom answers before we hear the front door shut.

"Your mom loved orange juice when she was pregnant, hated it any other time though. And you love orange juice but when you were pregnant, could never keep it down. Now you kids love it and your son hates it."

"And it breaks my heart everytime I think about it." I faux cry.

"Imagine how I feel!" Mama shouts from her bathroom. Making me and Michael laugh.

"What you doing back, Pop? Thought you'd be on your way to work."

"I left my computer. Thena, can I come into the room?"

"Sure Michael, we were just leaving."

"Ma..." I sigh tiredly.

"Get in the car Eris!"

Once she's out the door I turn to Pop. "I-"

"I know baby," he kisses my head. "Go head get in the car, your mom's waiting on you."

This whole situation is killing me. First Michael came out, thats fine. Im proud of him. But then came the arguing, the nonstop screaming matches.

I couldn't even tell you what they were about, just yelling, screaming: basically just being loud. They got so bad during the summer, May and Harry practically lived with me for a month.

"You need to stop." I spoke sternly, once I got in the car. My mother looked at me like I had lost my mind, which i was starting to feel like I had. "All summer with the arguing and the yelling. Have you both even noticed what its doing to your kids? May hates being in that house, not because of who her father is, but because its caused nothing but drama since it happened."

"Don't talk to me about things you're not 100% sure on, Eris." She spoke back angrily.

"No. I may not know what all the fights are about, but I know why they're starting. You're upset about the circumstances of Michaels coming out. So you pick apart every little thing that he does. Im not saying you're wrong, I see where youre coming from, 20 years later, after having the perfect marriage and now it seems like the only man that was willing to marry you doesn't even like women. And I know grandma Bea is giving you grief. Ignore her. This is not her marriage."

"He didn't think about what this would do to our family!"

"Yes, he did, Mom. Thats all he did, all he does. He kept this part of him hidden away for god knows how long because he didnt want to disrupt the family, but keeping apart of yourself hidden away from the world is painful. He had to let it out eventually. And I know it wasn't the right time for you, but would it have ever been? Im not saying you should be fine with all of this, but I am saying don't shut him out when he needs support now more than ever."

My mama, seeing the purpose in her daughters words, agreed. "How did I end up with such a wise daughter?"

"Im just too real." I shrugged offhandedly, laughing with her as we got out of the car.

"Mama G is realer." I roll my eyes as I turn to the voice.

"Your obsession with my mom is becoming concerning Zee." I chuckle as I separate from my mother, walking towards my friends.

"Good morning Ezekial my love." I saw Zee visibly blush, causing me to hit him upside the head. "Good morning Imani sweetheart."

"I loveeee your mother Ris!"

"Everybody does. 'Im just too real' right Ris?" She mocks my earlier saying, chuckling.

"Okay now, time for us to go do some work for a living." I joke wrapping my arms around my friends shoulders, steering them throughout the station to the back rooms. "Bye mommy."

"Bye baby."