Fourteen

She propped her body against the walls of the stone cold building, clutching to Newt for the warmth of his body. Everything inside of her head had cleared up, bringing her back to function the way she should. Still, her body felt robotic and rusty, almost out of place.

From the corners of the room small blasts of light shone through the windows, a spotlight cast directly over Mara and Newt's whimpering bodies, hitting them with a thick sheet of heat. The storm outside had come to a halt, but Mara could only imagine that it could come back.

Her stomach growled and hissed with hunger, demanding to be fed with any food they had, but Mara didn't agree. For one, she didn't want to wake the other Gladers from their slumber, they deserved the rest after what had happened the night before. Although they'd probably be woken up by the incredible heat blasting down into the room.

The boy looked down to her, no smile on his face, just staring blankly with a solemn darkness in his innocent eyes. He seemed to be the only other person in the room that was awake, sitting in silence as he observed the other Gladers, listening out for the heavy breaths escaping their mouths.

Minho whined in his sleep, and Mara had no doubt that he could still feel the burning of the lightning bolt hack upon his skin. He was brave, one of the bravest people Mara new, and she was happy to see him push through every obstacle WICKED threw at him and the rest of their 'experimental' group.

"Good morning," Mara whispered, taking the time to find Newt's hands and interlock them with hers. As she did, his head lowered slightly to look at their connecting bodies. "You feeling okay?"

Newt focused on Mara's eyes, losing the connection of his thoughts to return to the reality around him. "Okay? Yeah I guess I'm okay. We're alive- guess that's all that bloody matters anymore." He sounded so bitter and full of hate, just like one of those...

"Hey, being alive isn't all that matters. One day, we'll get away, like we said we will. We'll find ourselves a nice little city and settle down together, nothing's gonna get in the way of that. We can be like a real couple in a world of insanity, not worrying about whether or not our stability is crumbling. And that'll matter to me."

A thin smile appeared along his lips, his eyes glistening with a light from his black hole of misery. "That matters so much to me too."

"See," Mara pointed out, nudging him in the arm slightly. "Being alive isn't all that matters."

His smile broadened, and the light of the scorch reflected it out. He looked truly beautiful in the sunlight; his hair was a mash of perfection tangled into a web of dirt, but even still it shone in the light. The light hit him in all the right places, enhancing the line of his jaw and cheekbones in a way Mara had never seen them before, really bringing out his exquisiteness.

"It is if we wanna get to the city." Newt reminded her, and she didn't want to admit it, but Mara knew he was right. They had a very slim chance.

"We can do it." She smiled, but she had little truth behind her words. What hope did they have? Newt was a crank with no chance of going back, and Mara was half crank with a fifty fifty chance at survival. There was no happy ending for them, so they just had to live in the now.

A few Gladers began to wake, Thomas included. He sat up in a dazed state, looking around the room until his eyes laid upon Mara and Newt. For a moment he stopped to stretch himself out, but then he turned back to the pair.

"You okay there?" He asked, shifting his head around to stretch his jaw.

"Yeah, just dandy." Newt replied, annoyed with being asked the same question Mara had just asked. But it wasn't Thomas' fault, he didn't know. "Just contemplating if being alive matters."