Two

Mara got no sleep that night, how was she supposed to? She was confused, shocked and completely clueless. Plenty of questions roamed her mind; why was Teresa doing this? Where were they? Was she going to see her friends again? How much longer did she have to sit in silence?

Teresa had left Mara to deal with the agony of the physical injuries scratched along her stomach. Mara knew she had to find her way out of that room, but she wasn't strong enough and her body was too weak to move. Although, once Teresa was back, her chance would have disappeared, and then another block of time would be dedicated to making her suffer.

She looked up at the soft blaze from the candle; she needed something to calm her screaming body. There was no chance in getting away if all she could do was crumble. Mara felt too weak, her body was numb and her breathing was dragged out.

Even so, she picked her arms up and threw them in front of her, moaning in pain as she moved. Her palms spread out against the cobbled floor below her and she sat on her knees, trying to block the erupting agony all over her body. For a few minutes, Mara sat still, trying to regain steady breaths and overcome the monstrous pain.

Then, she darted forward, pushing away the pain to make her way swiftly towards the light. Her stomach felt as if it had dropped through her body, hanging through her flesh, but she kept going and fought the pain. She had to fight it, she had no other choice. It felt like she was moving for an eternity, and that she wasn't getting any closer to the candle light or the table it sat on. But then, she finally reached it and with a gust of effort, she pulled herself up to see what lay across the oak surface.

Her eyes lay upon the flickering light, but there was nothing else. Nothing she could use to help heal her quicker, nothing to protect herself with, nothing at all.

"Are you looking for something?"

Mara closed her eyes as Teresa's voice rang through the room. At that moment Mara knew she wasn't leaving where ever she was any time soon; Teresa's fun was about to begin, again.

"Other than answers? Yeah, maybe a ticket outta this place or a visit from the people I actually care about." She spat, slowly re-opening her eyes.

"I'm not giving you anything." The girl sang, a loud mechanical thud echoing behind her as the door- Mara's only exit- closed shut. Again, she was stuck in the room with Teresa as her only companion, the person she least wanted to be with at that moment.

"Of course not." Mara shook her head with a scoff. "Why would you give me anything? You've betrayed everyone. You're working with them, aren't you! You're working with WICKED! How could you do something like that? How could you-"

"Just shut up!" Teresa screeched, storming over to the table and tightly gripping Mara around her waist, and then she threw her body back into the wall she had sat at a few minutes before. Mara's back threw sparks of pain, but she couldn't give into her, she had to fight Teresa.

Even though she struggled and kicked, she couldn't move; Teresa was sitting on her knees and holding her hands around Mara's throat, luckily not adding pressure to her only source of breath. Yet, despite everything, tears still trickled down the girl's face.

"You don't understand! I have to do this or they'll kill you! They'll kill everyone! So, just shut up! Let me do what I have to do!" She screamed, but then she fell into an eerie silence.

After a minute or two of utter stillness and no sound other than the inhale of breathing, Teresa yanked her hands free from Mara's neck and jumped up, turning her body away from her vision.

Mara understood; Teresa was working for WICKED, but not because she wanted to. It was the same as they had done to her; they were threatening her friends' lives. She really did understand Teresa's actions; everything she did was to save them. Not long ago- or at least that's how long Mara thought it had been- she had been in the exact same position.

Even though she felt Teresa's pain, she still had too many unanswered questions in need of answering. "What happened after I shot myself in the head? How am I alive?" No answer. "Please, I at least deserve to know that, and if the others are okay. Surely you understand that."

Teresa sighed, and then turned her body back to face Mara. Her face was tired and worn, and she looked like she hadn't slept at all since she'd last been in Mara's company.

"I'm not meant to tell you anything. The others get the joy of the explanation when I hand you over to them-"She paused and closed her eyes, her body physically shrinking in disappointment for saying too much. "I'm bad, okay? Just... think that. Yeah, they'll come get you, the boys'll save you, but they have to believe that they saved you. They can't know I said anything about keeping them safe. They have to know I'm bad. It's what WICKED wants. Please, promise me you won't tell them anything? Please."

In silence, Mara sat and watched the girl, partly in shock, but mainly in relief. It didn't feel right to be relieved, but Mara couldn't not be slightly happy. Teresa wasn't actually against her, and she was going to see her friends again. Newt, Thomas, Minho, Alby and Chuck, and everyone else. She was going to see them all again, as long as none of them had been hurt. What if one of them had been hurt?

Stop this, she told herself; she couldn't let herself think of the worst. It would tear her apart, and she couldn't make herself weak.

"I promise." Mara eventually nodded; she still had plenty of questions, but she couldn't bring herself to provoke Teresa any more. If she did, she really was going to find joy in Mara's pain, and that pain was nowhere near over. That, Mara knew.

Wiping away another fleeing tear, Teresa reached down into her back pocket and removed a round object, and then her head lifted back up to Mara. She was holding half of a light green apple, but Mara only got a glance at the apple before it was swirling through the air.

The hard fruit landed directly in her hands, and with joy, she clutched onto the apple and pierced it with her teeth. The tasty, sweet juice inside it burst free inside her mouth, dancing along her tongue. She hadn't eaten for as long as she could remember, but in that moment, she felt really, really good. That apple inspired her happiness, which was something she hadn't felt for a very long time.

It felt good to be happy again, even if it was just for those precious minutes she was eating. She felt like herself again; she felt like she was just sitting back in the Homestead with Teresa. Newt was helping someone with something, and Minho and Thomas were drawing up their route from the Maze in the Map Room. Chuck was playing jokes on Gally, and Mara had saved him from getting his butt kicked. Alby was with Newt, he was acting the way he had before the Changing. She wanted to go back to that, but as the apple disintegrated, so did the happiness.

She wasn't in the Homestead, and she certainly didn't have her friends by her side. Sure, she had Teresa, but was she her friend? Mara hardly knew her, and what she did know was blocked from her. It was beyond her memory.

Honestly, she missed the Glade. There were Grievers, and blades that cut people in half, and everything else from a nightmare, but she would've given everything just to be back there with the people she loved. Just to see their faces again. She hated to admit it, but she just wanted to go back, despite every attempt they had made to find their way out.

"Mara," Teresa's voice interrupted her thoughts, standing out in the dull room. She looked up to the girl, who held an upset look across her face, and then Mara realised why. In her left hand, she held that same spear, still drenched in Mara's blood. "I'm sorry, I have to."

"It's okay, Teresa, do what you have to. Keep everyone safe, and get this over with." She told her, and then she closed her eyes and prepared for the pain.

I GOT INTERNET! If you didn't know, I didn't think I was going to update tonight, but my internets back! WOOHOOOOOOOOO :D So, after a while (damn writers block/no internet) Him is back! Hopefully, it will be updated every monday, but there may be odd days with extra updates. That's all :)