Ice Skating

For some reason, I wasn't able to fall asleep that night, I kept turning in my sleeping bag.

Meanwhile, Iris was sound asleep beside me.

After a while, I gave up trying to force myself to fall asleep. I got up doing my best not to wake Iris up and got out of the tent.

I headed towards the river. It was still flowing extremely fast when I got there and the air around it was colder than where our tents were.

I suddenly thought of a great idea and prayed it wouldn't lead me to my death.

Using my right foot I stepped on the surface of the water. Slowly, but surely, the river started to freeze until it was completely ice.

Please be strong enough, please be strong enough, I repeated in my head as I closed my eyes and put my two feet on the now frozen river.

When I didn't feel my body crashing into cold water, I let out a sigh of relief and opened my eyes.

I created a pair of blades under my shoes and started skating on the ice.

I was so unbalanced, I kept falling down every time and when I did manage to move, it wasn't up to two seconds before I ended up falling again.

Getting frustrated with the endless falling, I managed to move to a fallen log near the river banks.

I made up my mind that I would go back to the tent and try to force myself to sleep again. I was about to make the blades under my shoe disappear when I heard a voice behind me.

'You're really bad at ice skating Snowflake', the voice said making me jolt nearly landing on the floor.

'Don't do that Aiden', I said regaining my composure, 'Aren't you supposed to be sleeping?', I asked.

'I believe I'm supposed to be asking you the same question', he said taking a seat beside me on the log.

'I couldn't sleep, what's your excuse?', I said

'I heard some rustling and decided to check it out', he answered.

'If you heard rustling that means you've been watching me since I left the tent', I said looking at him with narrow eyes.

'Guilty as charged', he said, one hand on his chest as he smiled.

'So what, you love watching me fall on my butt?', I said slightly annoyed and slightly embarrassed when I started thinking of all the times I fell.

'Would it be okay to say I found it funny?', he said amused.

I returned his amusement with a death glare.

He held his hands up in surrender. 'Come on, you can at least admit it's a bit ironic. The person with the power of ice can't even ice skate', he said chuckling.

'It isn't funny', I said pouting.

'It's a little bit funny', he said putting his thumb and index close to elaborate his point.

That just made me pout more as I ignored him facing the still frozen river.

'I can teach you if you want, you know', he said.

'You know how to ice skate?', I said shocked.

'Yup. You could even call me a pro', he said pride in his veins as he puffed his chest out.

'So, are you coming?', he said extending his hands as he stood up.

I took his hands and used it to lift myself up. 'Let's go', he said as he tried to step on the ice before I pulled him back with our interlocked hands.

'I think you're forgetting something?', I said laughing as ii pointed to his feet.

'Oh right', he said as he chuckled.

I created a pair of blades under his shoes making him become a bit taller than he already was.

'There. Now let's go', I said making my way to the ice and letting go of his hand.

I stopped at the edge while Aiden moved perfectly on the ice. He wasn't even shaking, his steps were precise and calculated as he glided across the ice before he stopped in front of me.

'Wow. You weren't kidding when you said you were a pro', I said as I stared at him in awe.

'Nice to know my talents are appreciated', he said smiling.

'Now let's try this together', he said offering me both hands.

I hesitantly took his hands as he pulled me to the ice. My legs were wobbly and I kept looking at my feet.

'Try to always keep your knees bent and don't look down. Look at me instead', he said as he slowly moved backwards, urging me forward.

I did as he said bending my knees and looking at him. He was smiling as he said, 'Good. Now just follow me and don't look down'.

'Easier said than done', I said but still followed his movements carefully.

'See. You're doing great', he said, a smile plastered on his face.

I couldn't help but smile. My smile started to falter when he let go of one of my hands so I was now skating beside him.

He must have seen the expression on my face because he said, 'Don't worry. Just keep looking straight.'

Moving suddenly became easier and I wasn't leaning my weight on Aiden anymore.

I noticed his hand was slowly leaving mine but I didn't mind, I was actually enjoying myself.

He finally let go of my hand and I was skating on my own.

'I'm doing it!', I said excited. I wanted to stop but then realized I didn't know how to.

'Aiden. How do I stop?', I asked but when I looked back I lost balance.

I was expecting to feel a cold hard surface on my butt, instead I felt warm muscular arms wrapped around me stopping me from falling.

'Well Snowflake, that's one way to stop', Aiden said laughing as he stared at my flustered face.

I pushed him away trying to keep my balance but ended up slipping again.

Aiden caught me again just in time, 'I know I'm handsome Snowflake but there are better ways to fall for me', he said smugly.

I huffed, this time slowly moving away from him, 'Let's just go back', I said.

''Already?', he said.

'It's late and we need to be at full alert tomorrow', I reminded him getting off the ice before defrosting it and getting rid of the blades under our shoes.

''Alright then, Goodnight Snowflake', he send heading to his tent.

'Goodnight Aiden', I said as I entered my tent, this time falling asleep

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's name ✨:

I wish I could ice skate 🥺

Anyway, please vote and leave a comment ❤️

XOXOSweetSophie 🥰