Punk Rock

I was currently sitting in the vestibule outside of Old Bulwark's office. This was Mrs Lansdown's domain, and I was on my best behaviour here, sitting as I was straight-backed, up-right on the uncomfortable chair, my hands folded neatly into my lap, quietly waiting, contemplating my fate. Mrs Lansdown was Old Bulwark's secretary, She was a no-nonsense, straight-talking lady. But she was also  someone who had a kind and compassionate soft-spot for waifs and strays like me. I valued her opinion and over the last two years we had developed a sort of fledgling friendship. She gave good counsel, and great advice on any given subject and I had often confided in her when things were not going well with my studies, or I had had a stupid, trivial argument with Paige my on-off  girlfriend. Mrs Lansdown had a gift, and that talent was priceless. It was like a superpower. Mrs Lansdown had the special ability of being able to see straight into the heart of me, like she automatically could see what was wrong. I always thought it amazing and slightly crazy, that there were those types of people who could just see into your soul. You could never hoodwink them, they simply saw through any attempt at deceit. Not that I ever tried to intentionally deceive her. It was just that you could not conceal anything from her. She simply had that flair for seeing the truth for what it is. 

   I was dressed now in jeans and a sweat shirt, and Mrs Lansdown had offered me a cushion to put behind my back, to make my wait just that little bit more comfortable.  The police had allowed me to go and get dressed first before bringing me here, to the outer office, and I was grateful for that privilege at least. Actually, I was relieved more than anything, as I could not bear the thought of Mrs Lansdown seeing me in that, half-naked and hungover  condition. I felt mildly ashamed at my conduct. But I had sobered up a lot in the last hour and even more so after gulping down three large cups full of Mrs Lansdown's specially brewed, herbal tea. 

    "Take a bonbon Edgar, dear" she said almost ordering me to do so, but her tone although it always firm, was also always kindly compassionate . "It will help to settle your stomach." she said as if teasing me. I looked at her sideways  and I thought I saw her give me a sly smile. I winced as I realised that this meant she must have already heard about my antics last night. Had she already heard that I had thrown up on the college lawn? I wondered. The grapevine around the college was fast, and I wondered if everyone on campus now knew how I had embarrassed myself earlier. I walked over to Mrs Lansdown's desk, trying to look casual and aloof, as if unaware of what she was referring to. I sat on the edge of her desk,  where Mrs Lansdown always had a large jar of sweets. I helped myself to a couple of chocolates, winking at the old lady as I did so. A little bit flirty. 

     "Bit breezy today Isn't it!" she exclaimed in a playful tone. 

   I cringed again, nodding, and could not stop my cheeks from flushing bright scarlet red. So she knew I had woken up naked on the lawn, ouch. facepalm moment, I thought. 

     I really liked Mrs Lansdown and she had become almost like a surrogate mother figure to me. And since my own mother had died some years back, and Ellie was so far away, I suppose I clung on a little too closely to these types of maternal relationships. I respected her judgement, and her opinion of me. If I had lessened in her estimation, this mattered to me. I did not wish her to believe me a drunken fool. I looked at her again, studying her wise face, but she merely gave me a mischievous half-grin and said, "Help yourself to another bonbon, dear heart. My lovely. you are looking a little on the thin side, and that breeze will go right through you " 

    I took another sweet and went and sat back down on my hard backed chair, I picked up the cushion which had fallen down onto the floor, and straightened it, and went back to waiting.