2. ┊ ✧. 𝐢𝐧 𝐞𝐥𝐲𝐬𝐢𝐮𝐦.

the word "elysium", in its psychological sense, signifies the ideal perspective on life—one of beatific rapture. on the other hand, when it is deemed as purely esoteric, it can mean the lodgings of the dead. not any type of dead; solely the enlightened ones, the ones who carry a halo of brightness, surrounded by superhumanly spiritual illumination. only the ones godly gifted with purpose.

purpose itself, furthermore, is a quintessential conception that needs to be understood correctly, for the aforementioned word is but a conception created by the human mind in order for the consolidation of our meaningless existence: we, as individuals, don't truly have a specific purpose; nevertheless, we search for one in an everlasting quest for knowledge, in an unquenchable thirst to explain our unmeaning, unintelligible, illogical and frankly borderline absurd existence. therefore, it is affirmable that purpose, in this etymological analysis case, indicates thunderous, earth-shattering emptiness—for this previously mentioned impetus points toward the fact that elysium itself is a space reserved for the controversial, for the paradoxical notion of only permitting people (or the lack thereof) with purpose, however nonsensical that may be.

elysium—not to be confused with the northern hemisphere of mars (which appears as a light region when viewed from an earthly telescope), although that meaning is also attributed to the word. it could be argued that mars, as its roman divine namesake, represents the warlike aspect of the human essence (if there is such a thing) and thus its lighter region could be representative of the more unsubstantial side to anger, but that is an etymology analysis for another time.

as it is perceived as both the idyllic and somewhat bucolic state of mind and the abode of the blessed dead, elysium can therefore be categorized as the intersection between and the metaphysical portal connecting the two meanings. in simpler terms—to be in elysium would mean to be blissfully deceased. and at what times are we, as a late-stage capitalist society, blissfully deceased and in a state of utter tranquility? when we don't have to connect to anything or be productive anyhow. after all, it is within those three to twenty-two minutes of mellow, delightful, mind-empty nothingness in which we navigate through the vast plane we call the internet that we feel the most comfort; comfort in the void, comfort in the vacant.