TRACK 3 - HONEY HONEY

SUSIE Q
CHAPTER THREE

( SADIE AGRON: Billy and I started dating in 1966

( SADIE AGRON: Billy and I started dating in 1966. I was sixteen, he was seventeen. We were young and stupid and happy. )

( EDDIE ROWNTREE, base: They were annoying. But we loved Sadie so we let her hang around. )

( GRAHAM DUNNE, lead guitar: Sadie was too perfect to be hanging out with us. [Laughs]. I mean she was a prodigy. She could run circles around us. We were just a group of wannabes )

( WARREN ROJAS, drums: Man, I loved Sadie. Or is her name Susie? Man, I still get confused. )

Sadie fitted into The Dunne Brothers like a shoe. From the moment, they met Sadie, they knew she was special. At the time she still wasn't ready to sing but she would sit in on rehearsals, give them notes, make them laugh, on date nights Billy and Sadie would write songs together. 

One particular Saturday afternoon, Billy sat on the floor of Sadie's bedroom. She lay on her bed, belly to the sky horizontally. The two of them shared a joint as Billy strummed his guitar. 

( SADIE AGRON: People like the believe that I got Billy hooked on drugs. Come on, it was the 60s. I smoked a joint with my home room teacher once. I never forced Billy to smoke. It's just what we did. )

Sadie stared at her ceiling as she blew smoke into the sky. Billy strummed his guitar and hummed along, trying to come up with a new song. Billy took his band seriously. He was going to make it big. He already had a great voice, a great sound, now all they needed was original songs. Billy had taken a shot at song writing now and again but never found something that stuck. 

Sadie tapped her finger against her stomach as she tried to follow along with his rhythm. She turned onto her stomach. She removed the joint from her lips and put it to his. Billy took a drag and blew out a puff as she took another. Her hand found his curls. Billy tried not to melt into her touch as she massaged his scalp. "What is that?"

"Just some melody I'm working with." He told her. Sadie released her hand from Billy's curls and rested her chin on her hand. 

"What do you want to write about?" She asked him. 

Billy craned his head up. "What do you mean?"

"What do you want this song to say?" 

Billy pondered for a moment. Music was about emotion. People wrote songs about love, heartbreak, pain, anger. He wanted to look Sadie in the eyes and tell her that he wanted to write her a love song. But right now, he felt a linger dark cloud of pain he couldn't let go off. "I don't know. I saw my dad." 

Sadie sat pushed herself up on her elbows. "What? You never told me that. When?"

"At the Keller wedding." Sadie knew about Billy's relationship with his dad. How is was as non-existent as her and her mom's. She couldn't imagine what she would do if she saw her mom again. That kind of pain, that rage was something she couldn't imagine. "I just...I wanted him to look at me. I had done so much that I wanted to be proud of me for and when he looked me in the eye, he didn't even care."