TRACK 6 - THE BEGINNING OF THE END

SUSIE Q
CHAPTER SIX

[ SADIE AGRON; After Owen and Ash joined the band, everything that me and Roxy had planned suddenly came together

[ SADIE AGRON; After Owen and Ash joined the band, everything that me and Roxy had planned suddenly came together. ]

OWEN AND ASH CRAWFORD WERE THE CATALYST FOR SO WHAT!'S DEBUT. Sadie and Roxy had spent so long in search of their perfect bandmates and they were it. Owen was the main guitarist and singer in his own band, Indigo but when he agreed to join So What!, although in 1972 the band was still unnamed, Owen agreed to take a step back and pursue one of his other many talents. Although some would argue that he didn't so much as step aside as he was pushed. 

So What! was Roxy's band. She was founder and fully intended on being lead guitarist and lead singer. Which was all well and good expect most people seemed to take to Sadie a lot better. So she settled for Sadie to be the face while Roxy worked on the music. Although, in the end they all contributed, it was a rocky start. Ash was more than happy to be a drummer. He never had any complaints about his position and often hung in the back while the other members argued because he just didn't give a fuck. 

Sadie, unaware of how much of a complete narcissist she was, quite happily took on the role of lead singer while Roxy stuck to bass and Owen got handed a rhythmic guitar.  

[ OWEN CRAWFORD, rhythmic guitarist for So What!: I didn't mind owning rhythm. I mean sure, who doesn't want to play bass? But some one's gotta do it. I was just happy to be in a band. Indigo was going nowhere. So What! wasn't either but Roxy and Sadie had this insane determination that just kept you going. I wasn't going to quit just 'cause I was a little uncomfortable. ]

Now as a full band, So What! was ready to play any stage that would take them. But as of 1972, they still had no name and no bar would take them without a name.

[ SADIE AGRON: Owen wanted to keep the name Indigo. It was a cute name but it didn't really mean anything. ]

[ ROXY DELMONICO: I wanted a name that reflected our sound. Which was something we also disagreed on. But it was my fucking band. I should have the last say. But no. It was always Sadie. ]

The band sat around the Crawford garage where Owen and Ash's parents let them rehearse. It was demeaning but it was all they had. The four of them had been arguing for twenty minutes over names. 

"What about Night Watchers?" Ash suggested as he played around with the tuning of his guitar.

Sadie's face contorted in disapproval. "Sounds like a vampire cult."

"Lilac Skies?" This suggestion came from Owen.

"Too soft."

Owen tried again. "The four?"

"Creative." Sadie mocked. "We need a name that reflects our sound."

"What is our sound exactly?" Owen and Ash really didn't know what they were signing up for. After Sadie bombarded them after their performance and practically offered them both a sure fire spot in the band, they didn't hesitate to say yes. They were in no position to negotiate but it would be nice to know what it was they were supposed to be doing.