Chapter 7

The portal deposited us in a setting best described as idyllic. We stood in the shade of an extended arbor leading to the front door of a lone cabin. The domed thick-wall adobe-style architecture was like Anara's home and Adam's cottage. Perched on a small hill, it overlooked a meandering stream that spread across a golden sandy beach licked by turquoise waves. Behind were rolling grassy hills dotted with squat sprawling trees. A gentle sea-scented breeze countered the mid-day heat.

The eyes of Adam's young son grew wide. "May we go swimming?"

"Perhaps later," Adam answered.

"What is this place?" I asked.

"A family retreat," Anara answered. "I thought it unwise to return to my home. Come inside."

Anara pulled open the rounded top wooden door, pushing aside windblown sand piled against the threshold. Targon hopped in ahead of her, apparently familiar with the place, finding a corner cushion on which to curl-up. A parting of curtains revealed a comfortable rustic aura that breathed escape from everyday life. A retreat indeed.

Leading us to the kitchen, Anara said, "Does anyone hunger?"

Like her home, the kitchen was simple and technology free. Four chairs and a long bench surrounded a painted wooden table on one side. Wooden cabinets under a flat counter lined the opposite wall with a sink and tall pantry, but no stove, microwave, or refrigerator.

Anara swung open the double pantry doors. "Ah, good. Well stocked it is."

The pantry was filled with all sorts of staples and foods, including breads, cheeses, fruits, vegetables, drinks, and many things I could not identify. But most strange, everything was fresh with no sign of spoilage. A closer inspection revealed why — a faint shimmer surrounded the food. Who needs refrigeration or canning when magic preserves food?

After a satisfying lunch, Myra attended to our various wounds, including my sore ribs, with her healing magic. We all agreed that today we would rest.

Later, I leaned against a wooden railing under the arbor, grinning as I watched the children bound excitedly toward the beach, their parents in tow. Ah, to have such exuberance.

Anara came to my side and placed her hand on my arm. A warm smile came to her lips. "Thank you, Micah. Without your presence, I fear we would have all perished."

"I also had a vested interest in survival. But I am still learning about this Symbio Magique."

She tilted her head toward the beach. "Care for a swim? One of my favorite things to do."

"Tempting," I responded. "But I do not have a swimsuit."

Wrinkling her forehead, Anara asked, "What is a swimsuit?"

"You know, something you wear during swimming to cover up--" Oh, my God... My eyes popped full open. "Umm, what do people in Elysium usually wear while swimming?"

"Nothing, of course. Why would one wear clothes while swimming?"

"Well," I stammered as warmth flushed my cheeks, "for modesty... so others don't see your..." This was going to get awkward fast. I sighed as she lifted an eyebrow. "You know, I don't have a good answer. It really shouldn't matter."

She tugged on my arm and grinned. "Then, let's go."

"Wait, do you have any sunscreen?"

"I know not what that is."

"You know... To prevent sunburn?" As she shook her head, I continued, "From ultraviolet radiation exposure?"

Another wrinkle came to her forehead. "You speak of strange things."