Returning

"Tell me about home?"

The boy looked up, squinting past the early morning sun. He groaned, shifting against the tree they were both leaning against.

"Did you get any sleep?" he snorted, pulling Hugo closer into his chest. Hugo hummed, tapping a soft rhythm into his ribcage.

"I got enough."

"How much is enough?"

"More than none."

The boy rolled his eyes.

"Come on, tell me about home. We're going through all this to get you there, I want to at least know where you're going," Hugo pleaded.

The boy sighed. There was a small, knowing smile that tugged at the edges of his lips.

"I live between two large hills," he explained. "At the very bottom of the valley. It's one of the only places in Corona that isn't covered in trees."

"You have trees over there?"

The boy snorted. "We do. They're not like the trees in your world, but trees are trees."

"Huh," Hugo muttered into his chest. The boy began to trace his hand lightly up and down Hugo's spine.

"I'll take you to see it one day," he exclaimed. "You'll love it. Those hills- without trees, when the sun sets, I swear it's like they sing."

Hugo smiled.

"That's so sappy."

The boy barked out an exasperated laugh.

"You asked!"

"That doesn't make it any less sappy."

"Sun and moon I hate-" he cut himself off as a tremor wracked his entire body. He squeezed his eyes shut. He let out a frustrated whine and knocked his head against a tree.

Hugo's eyes were alight with mischief. He snickered.

"You are so annoying," the boy huffed.

"I know," Hugo grinned. He lifted his head to meet the boy's eyes. They were deep pools that Hugo could spend his whole life getting lost in. The edges of his irises were laced with small flecks of gold that reflected the morning light.

Hugo leaned closer to get a better look. His eyes fluttered closed as their lips met.

(The feeling began to fade. Hugo noticed details that weren't there- he couldn't remember enough to know what they were. The memory was disappearing. With time, it would be gone.)

"Hugo?" a voice whispered into his ear. "Hugo, wake up!"

Hugo snorted awake. He wiped his mouth as a bead of drool started to trickle down his chin. He groaned and patted around at the desk for his glasses.

"Were you up all night?" Nuru asked from behind him. Hugo scoffed, pushing his glasses onto his face.

"No."

Nuru raised an eyebrow.

"Not all night."

"Just most of it?"

Hugo shrugged, staring blearily at the mess of papers that were strewn across the table.

"What's this?" Nuru asked. Hugo spun around and blanched as Nuru spun a small sealed vial.