𝟎𝟎𝟑 𝘮𝘦𝘢𝘯𝘵 𝘵𝘰 𝘣𝘦

(three.)

JUNE 1986, New York City

"YOU BELIEVE THAT things happen for a reason?" Derek asked Iris who was laying beside him on the grass. "I do, to an extent." She answered, eyes still closed. "Elaborate." Derek's full attention was on the girl, he lies on his side with his head leaning on his hand. He noticed her skin glow and a faint smile on her lips.

He didn't mean to stare at her lips as long as he did, but it happened. And his thoughts slowly drifted to the thought of kissing them, without him having any control in it whatsoever. Iris interrupted them; "I think meeting someone happens for a reason, like you and me. But someone or something dying doesn't, when i was 7 my rabbit David died and I don't think it happened for a reason. It just sucked."

Derek snorted softly, Iris opened her eyes slowly looking up at him. He was really hard trying not to laugh. "It's just- your rabbit was named David? How old were you when you got him?"

"4." She answered. "A four year old girl named her rabbit David?! How did he die?" Derek asked holding his laugh. "He chocked... on grass..." the couple looked at each other for a couple seconds before loud laughs leave their mouths.

In the past week Iris and Derek have been spending almost every second together. They've went on motorcycle rides and on picnics in park. They've never had more fun than with each other.

Everything was purely platonic, at least that was what they were trying to convince themselves. Everybody could see the longing stares and close comfortable proximity.

They felt a connection towards the other so strong, a pull that kept them together. The pull was as strong as the pull gravity had to the Earth. An invisible string tying Derek to Iris and Iris to Derek.

The night they met was meant to be, they were meant to meet. The stars were aligned and the moon was watching the two souls connect for the first time.

(s2, ep22)

SOME THINGS HAPPEN for a reason. Derek and Iris meeting and parting ways had to happen for a reason. But the fact that Iris was standing with her first love and his wife, who was a friend of hers, in the same elevator was definitely not supposed happen.

A couple days go by where she successfully ignored Derek. But then Iris was standing at the nurse station and heard his voice.

"Ah Dr. Bailey! You have an extra intern?" Dereks voice broke the comfortable silence Iris was in, and her whole body tensed up at the voice of her former lover.

"I'm available." Dr. Bailey said. "No. I said intern." Shepherd said to the smaller brunette. "Shepherd look at the board."

"Ok. What am I looking at?" Shepherd sighed. "My name isn't there. It wasn't there yesterday and it won't be there tomorrow." Bailey snapped.

Iris stands there filling out her patient chart for another minute, listening to the two doctors argue. "Dr. Bailey!" Iris said loudly turning around. Both pair of eyes fall on her immediately. "I have a Coronary artery bypass graft at 9 o'clock, I need an intern. You can be mine... of course if Dr. Shepherd doesn't take up on the offer."