CHAPTER 3 | Kube Ngangazi

ANDILE

#NOTEDITED

" Ouch, that hurts okay!"
" Those hooligans, look at what they did to you. I still say you should go and open a case of assualt against them. This is a crime" my mother says.
" Ma, please. They were angry and I don't blame them. I'm not going to open a case against them"
" Why not? They would have killed you Andile. I know them" Charlotte says. I sigh.
" Charlotte, you're not helping. That's your family"
" You're my family Andile. Not them and especially what they did to you and my father. Ma is right, you need to open a case of assualt against them."
I shake my head. " I'm not going tonsend my brother's in-law to jail."
" We'll you won't be calling them that for much longer as soon as you serve her with divorce papers" she says
" Oh he will believe me. I want nothing to do with that girl and her family"
I close eyes. They beat me up pretty bad and if my cousin wasn't there. I swear those two would have killed me.
" You promised me Andile that you will divorce her as soon as we got married. I'm not going to share you with her. I refuse to"
" Can you just stop okay! We're married right so what more do you want?."
" Divorce her. I want to be your only wife."
" She's right Andile. Charlotte has been very patient with you. She's my only daughter in-law that I recognize. Divorce that girl and move on"

I shake my head, leave them and go to the dining room. My sister looks at me like she's disgusted with me. Charlotte pulls the chair for me to sit down, I groan. Damn my body hurts like hell.
" What is she doing here Andile!"
" She's my wife, where else is she supposed to be except next to her husband side?"
" Uyinja Andile! How could you do this to Emy! That woman has forgiven you for everything younhave out her through and then you still put her though this humiliation? With her cousin? What kind of person are you Charlotte? Emy treated you like a sister. She loved you and confided in you about him and his womanizing ways. How could you betray her like this?"
I have never seen my sister this upset.
" Zonke, this is my house and Charlotte is family now. If you don't like it, here's the door. How dare you shout at my house like it's a mad house"
" Because it is a madhouse. Mama what kind of woman are you? Why would you accept what is going on?...oh you knew that he was cheating on Emy with her. Mama!"
" hhay, hay Zonke!..."
" Ma, please. Zonke I..."
" Don't talk to me wena nja! Uzosila wena Andile one day for everything younhave very done to Emy. You will regret it."
" You will stop calling your brother names because of that girl. Andile is your brother and your loyalty lies with him. Your blood"

" Blood my foot!" Oh Nkos'Yam. There she comes walking in. Just what I need. " I knew you were wicked Sizakele but this takes the cake. You encouraged that good for nothing son of yours to have an affair with Emy cousin and then marry this gold digger?...!"
" Don't call my wife a gold digger aunty!"
" Shut up wena before I stab you into pieces! Who's child are you Andile cause wena, awsu wakithi wena!. You are just like your uncles who are wh****s, who have fathered children all over South Africa."
" Nomusa you will not call my son names and accuse my brothers of things"
" He takes after them cause he's nothing like my brother and his brother. Uyisf****e u Andile!. The way ungakhona you couldn't be even a husband to a wonderful woman that God gave you on a silver platter cause you were busy with the likes of her. This gold digger with orange hair"
" Call her a gold digger again Nomusa and you'll see"
" She's not a gold digger? What is that on her finger Siyanda? What is on your finger too? Isn't that gold that you both dug?"
" That's it, I've had it with you...I want you..."
" Say it! Leave your house? Don't make me laugh wena. I'm not going anywhere, I live here. You think I'll.kesve my brother with you so you can kill him?" My mother aunt hate each other, they are always on each other's throats everyday. I'm just sick of my aunt living here and making my mother's life impossible. I don't understand why dad refuses to kick her out.
" Aunty..."
" Zonke baby. Your mother is very wicked, she's capable of doing anything and much more things you could ever know"