Fracture (Chronicles of Discord, #1)

Fracture 

By 

D.D. Chant

Copyright 2012 by D.D. Chant

Chapter One

The Tula

Ben lounged in his seat and gazed out of the panoramic window of the viewing deck. This large room was usually a hive of activity but at the moment he was the only person on board who had the time to be there; everyone else was feverishly busy preparing for the imminent docking.

His fingers tapped an impatient rhythm against the arm of his comfortable chair as he studied the vista before him. The viewing deck was the highest point on the ship and he could see the lower stories and out across the canal to the strange city beyond. Black stone buildings reached far into the distance, austere and unfriendly.

The small compu-pad on his lap had slipped a little to one side as if forgotten, its screen displaying the images that he had been flicking through before. Among the pictures were several overfed and prosperous looking men and a few stern women that made up the Tula High Council.

"I thought I'd find you here."

The voice was mild but Ben started, guiltily turning quickly in his chair. He hadn't heard the sound of his father's approach on the thickly carpeted floor.

"Sorry Dad, did you want me for something?"

Senator Philip Burton shook his head and made his way through the chairs huddled around low tables to stand behind his son's seat.

"No, I just wanted five minutes to myself before the onslaught begins," he smiled faintly, "it struck me that you'd probably had the same idea."

His eyes fell to the compu-pad on his son's knee and took in the now familiar faces it held. Ben twisted in his chair awkwardly, looking up at his father.

"Cheerful bunch aren't they?" he remarked noting the direction of his father's gaze. Senator Burton smiled but did not reply to his son's irreverent statement.

"You're still not happy?"

Ben tensed and, turning away, fixed his gaze resolutely outside.

"I just feel a little strange," he shrugged dismissively. "I dare say I'll get used to it."

Senator Burton regarded his son with exasperated fondness; it seemed Ben had still not realized why he had been dropped from his official position as secretary. He patted his son's broad shoulder affectionately.

"I already miss your efficiency, although Lester is trying he doesn't know me like you do and can't anticipate the things I need."

"He'll learn," Ben's voice was bland.

"I suppose so," Senator Burton looked again at the compu-pad, "will you remember them all?"

"Sure, I don't know why it's necessary though."

"It can't hurt to be prepared." Senator Burton saw the frown in his son's blue eyes. "Don't look so irritable Ben, you're wasted to me as a P.A."

Ben's eyes narrowed and he grinned smugly.

"I knew you were up to something," he ventured at length.

"I'm taking precautions," responded his father. "This is one of the biggest opportunities we're likely to get; no one from the outside has crossed over Tula borders for over a hundred years: our diplomatic envoy will be the first." Senator Burton shook his head. "The trouble is we'll be so busy with all the pomp and ceremony we'll miss everything."