Fracture - Chapter 9

“I'm disappointed in you, Astra.”

Councillor Ladron watched the calm, downward turned face for any betraying signs of emotion.

“Your sister is rarely guarded enough in her speech so I had expected you to avoid a meeting between her and Mr. Burton.”

It was late, the light from a single globe placed on Corbani Va Dic Ladron’s desk illuminated Astra where she stood in front of his desk, but the rest of the room was in shadows.

It would have interested Ben greatly to know that the Councillor’s office was located in a brick part of the building and unlike all of the other offices in the Council building, was not made with the glass walls that indicated the ‘transparency of the regime’.

“Forgive the oversight, Reverend Councillor.” Astra bowed, placing a hand over her heart. The movement caused the light from the desk to glimmer on the gold embroidered on the fabric of her dress.

“What did they talk of, Astra?”

Astra straightened. She had known this question was coming but still it struck her with a chill of foreboding. She would have to walk a very fine line, to tell the truth but only the part that was least damaging to Leda. If Ladron ever found out all that Leda had said... Astra didn’t even want to think about that.

“While out in the city we came across Leda by accident, Reverend Councillor,” she answered. “She did not make herself known to us, but Mr. Burton recognized her when she approached him at this evening’s entertainment.”

“And why would Leda make herself known to him?” asked Councillor Ladron.

Astra knew that beneath his calm exterior a predator waited, eager to pounce.

“He had cut his hand, she did not see who he was only that he had injured himself.”

No tremor gave away that her words were lies.

Councillor Ladron stared at her without blinking for some time.

“You are telling me that Leda's overwhelming instinct to care for the sick impelled her to assist before she realized who Mr. Burton was?”

Astra affected not to notice the sarcasm in his voice and nodded.

“That is correct, Reverend Councillor.”

Again there was silence.

“Are you lying to me, Astra?”

“No, Reverend Councillor.”

“Good because you know what happens to all who lie to me do you not?”

Corbani Va Dic Ladron detected a faint shiver pass through Astra’s frame and smiled with satisfaction.

“Did anything else pass between them?”

“They had no chance to speak further, Reverend Councillor.”

“You showed some presence of mind at least,” remarked Councillor Ladron standing. “Inform Leda that she will receive punishment: I think a few months in one of the military hospitals on the front line will encourage her to be more... prudent... in the future, don’t you, Astra?”

“Your mercy is undeserved, Reverend Councillor,” bowed Astra. “Thank you for your leniency.”

Councillor Ladron turned on the threshold of the port.

“This is the last time, Astra,” he warned. “Leda has flouted the laws that govern your situation one too many times: should she do so again I will have her killed.”