Fracture - Chapter 6

“Councillor Ladron, don’t you think that allowing him to spend time with Astra might be… well… unwise?” asked Councillor Chevok tentatively.

Corbani Va Dic Ladron raised his eyes slowly from the compu-pad he was studying.

“Unwise, how so?” his voice was pleasant but there was a coldness in his eyes that Councillor Chevok knew boded ill. He swallowed nervously and looked around the other Councillors for support. Eventually Councillor Zorrenson stepped forward impatiently and rapped on his desk.

“She might try to influence him, Corbani, surely you must have thought of that? This is not a game, we have far too much to lose.”

“It is my earnest hope that she will influence him, Beris,” smiled Councillor Ladron.

“Yes, yes; I know what it is that you’re planning but what about what she might be planning?”

“I doubt Astra would consider such an ill advised move and pit her wits against mine.”

Beris Va Dic Zorrenson snorted, enraged by his attitude.

“A dog will turn on its master if it is given the opportunity,” she responded repressively.

“A dog?” Councillor Ladron leaned back in his chair, placing the tips of his fingers together as he considered her words. They seemed to amuse him. “Yes, I do believe you’re right Beris, a dog,” his eyes narrowed coldly, “but a very well trained dog.”

“You think that will save you from a mauling?”

Councillor Ladron laughed but the sound was not merry, it conveyed clearly the warning that she was on dangerous ground and that his good humour would not last forever.

“I have taken the precaution of removing the teeth and claws of this particular bitch,” he returned.

“How?” responded Councillor Zorrenson stubbornly.

“Astra knows that should she displease me I would not lift a finger against her,” his smile faded, “but I will see that her adopted family die in agony.”

There was silence. Even Beris Va Dic Zorrenson could think of nothing to say, which was just as well for her, mused Corbani, as he would have stood no more insolence from her today.

He turned angling his head so that he could look up into the face of the girl standing quietly beside him.

“Is that not so, Astra?”

“Yes, Reverend Councillor.”

Astra bowed, careful to keep her face expressionless. Councillor Ladron fed on fear, to him seeing the pain he had inflicted was like a drug and that the more fear shown, the crueller he became. Councillor Ladron turned back to Beris Va Dic Zorrenson.

“So you see, there is no reason to be concerned.”

Councillor Zorrenson said nothing. Corbani could see that her eyes had dialated in shock, an expression mirrored on all of the Councillors faces. It was not a surprise that he would do such a thing to Astra: they cared nothing for that, but that he could do such a thing and do it with impunity.

Good… they should fear him. The reminder that he was not to be crossed was perhaps timely. Councillor Ladron was quite certain that the Free Nation could be manipulated into aiding the Tula cause, so long as they received a large helping of Tula technology. However no one made an alliance with a political party that was not stable. It had occurred to him that while the terms of this alliance were as yet unresolved, one of the more brave Councillors such as Councillor Zorrenson or Councillor Sendel might try to make their own terms with the Free Nation and seize power within the Council. The reminder of just what he was capable of would give them pause for thought. If it didn’t, he would kill them.