Chapter 9

"The Land of Thirst

"The Land of Thirst."

"Will you stop saying that?"

(Y/n) rolled her eyes and remained silent as she listened to the two men. The four of them had been stranded in the desert and were forced to walk to find civilization.

"You don't understand. I've run out. I've run out. You don't know what that means."

The Captain fell over in the sand. (Y/n) groaned as she turned around. "Captain, please. We have to keep going." She said, grabbing his arm. Tintin nodded as he took Haddock's other arm. "(Y/n)'s right. One step at a time. Come on, on your feet! Lean your weight on us."

Haddock's head rolled. "A man can only hang on so long without his vitals." (Y/n) sighed. "Captain, calm down. There are worse things than sobering up—what!" The woman was interrupted as the Captain grabbed her boyfriend and pointed with a grin.

"Look! Tintin! We're saved! Water. Water!" He tried to run forward, but only rolled down a sandhill. (Y/n) facepalmed.

Tintin ran after the crazy shipman. "Stop! Captain! It's just a mirage!"

"But it was here. I saw it." "It was just your mind playing tricks. It's the heat!" (Y/n) said, sliding down the beige mineral. Once beside the boys, the Captain gripped tightly to (Y/n) shoulder and stared longingly into the distance.

"I have to go home." He mumbled. (Y/n) froze and began observing him. He looked... different.

Like he was somewhere else.

"...What?" She whispered.

Haddock turned to her with wide eyes.

"I have to go back to the sea." Tintin scowled agitatedly. "Captain, you're hallucinatin—" "Tintin wait."

The journalist paused, giving his attention to his girlfriend. "Captain... what is it?" She asked.

"Look. Did you ever see a more beautiful sight?" Haddock asked, pointing into the distance and beginning to rise to his feet.

"She's turning into the wind, all sails set. Triple masted. Double decks. Fi—" "Fifty guns." (Y/n) muttered aloud as she and her boyfriend stood with Haddock.

"The Unicorn?" Tintin asked.

"Isn't she a beauty?"

"Yes! Yes, she is!" (Y/n) smiled as she grabbed his shoulder. "Please tell us, Captain, what else can you see?" Tintin asked, pointing out to Haddock's imagination.

The Captain turned back to 'the ship' and began to speak. "She's got the wind behind her. Look at the pace she's setting! Barely a day out of Barbados, a hold full of rum and the finest tobacco and the hearts of the sailors set for home." (Y/n) took a seat as she imagined a life sized version of the Unicorn. She sailed through the rough storm and over the crashing sand waves.