Chapter One

Rays of sunlight penetrated the cool, almost suffocating darkness of Blossom's closed eyes. She grumbled and woke up. Memories of her dream about the "battle" with Grapefruit faded away from her mind. For a millisecond, Blossom forgot where she was, but soon the memories of the past one and a half years, and yesterday filled her mind.

She heaved herself out of her bed, and exited her wood hut. Outside, Blossom took in the forest air and sounds all around her. She spread her wings, soaking in the sunlight so her scales wouldn't dull. Blossom was an assassin, so she needed her scales to be vivid in order to blend into her surroundings better.

After being kicked out of the NightWing and RainWing villages, she had made an entire wood house, out of raw animus magic, that was studded with jewels she had collected from her various targets on assassin missions.

Her mother, Kinkajou, had told her once, all the way back when she was a tiny dragonet, that all animus magic had been canceled out by Jerboa of the SandWings, an ancient animus, a couple of years ago. Blossom could still use her animus magic, and the first actual thing she had enchanted was her jade bracelet. The actual first thing was the vines she had used to ensnare Grapefruit, a RainWing.

The bracelet was made out of jade, and it was enchanted to repel animus magic, so even if other animuses had gained their magic back, it wouldn't work on her. Blossom took off into the sky, consciously shifting her wings to the pale blue and pearl-white of the sky.

An endless sea of green was laid out below her, shimmering with a rainbow of colors and different wings. She flew over the rainforest, her scales shifting to look like a normal RainWing so the dragons below wouldn't be suspicious of her. Blossom soared above them, her wingbeats barely heard over the sounds of the rainforest.

She scoffed, inaudibly for the dragons below her; Blossom was watching the black and rainbow dragons below her scamper across the muddy forest floor. She lifted her head up, watching her get closer to the chocolate-brown of the Mud Kingdom. Below her, she could see the green of the trees.

Blossom could see LeafWings and SilkWings in little wood-and-silk huts. Surprisingly, she could also see some HiveWings, considering, from what her father told her, that their old queen had forced them to cut down all the trees on their continent: Pantala. Blossom had taken down two HiveWings before, she had learned to watch out for their stingers, which she had learned the hard way.

The dragons of the "lost continent" lived in hammocks or houses; almost all of the houses Blossom could see had either HiveWings sitting with SilkWings, talking or eating, or the three tribes lying alone, reading or writing. Blossom swept overhead. She had been an assassin for about two years now. Gone on lots of missions. The dagger sheathed in the leather pouch that was hanging on her neck from the time she had struck Grapefruit, the RainWing who had dared to attack her.

She couldn't see him or his idiot friends, Mango and Acorn, either. Curious dragon heads took one look, saw her, and ducked.

Yeah, you better be afraid.

Blossom could see the distant chocolate brown bogs and swamps of the Mud Kingdom. She put on an extra burst of speed without tiring, thanks to the ring of jade around her left arm.

The sound around Blossom changed from the chitters and squawking of the rainforest, to her almost silent wingbeats. She swore she could hear wingbeats entwined with her own, but she turned around and there was no one. Blossom turned around and kept flying on. She thought she saw a ripple of air before she turned back around, but decided it was just the wind.

Blossom could see the faint stone spire of Queen Moorhen's palace out in the distance. Blossom looked down and saw MudWing early risers scattered across the chocolate landscape.

She flew over all of them, so fast all they saw was a blur of light. Blossom watched as the faraway shimmering sea grew near and nearer with every hundred wingbeats.

The endless gray, green and mud-brown of the swamp spread out underneath her. Blossom flew as fast as she could until she reached the sea. Fish in all kinds of colors swam under, but when they saw her dark shape above them, they swam quickly away in all directions. Blossom impaled a couple and ate them, their blood dripping and running down her webbed claws and into the sapphire sea below.

Ruby-red drops were still leftover from the meal, trailing slowly down the translucent webbing between Blossom's talons. The webbing was transparent, and symbolized her SeaWing ancestry, which she got from her father. She finished off the last of the fish, and dove under.

At first, Blossom gasped in both her mind and underwater; she could feel the water slowly filling her mouth, almost choking her; she closed her mouth. It was such a weird sensation, but Blossom had gone through it before. Soon she stopped flailing and beat her wings, conjuring a tidal wave of bubbles. She extended them out to their full span, until Blossom felt the slight tug of a current, trying to get a grip on her wings, trying to pull her away. Blossom relaxed, letting the current snag her and carry her off into the direction of the Deep Palace.

Once she was in the current, Blossom could see schools of rainbow fish and smacks of jellyfish swim past all around her, almost completely oblivious to her presence. Blossom stuck one of her talons out, and impaled some fish on her claw. She grabbed a fat tuna, some small fish, and two salmon. Blossom ate the fish, and spread her wings. She propelled herself forward until she felt the current's pull start to grow weaker. All of a sudden, Blossom halted. She beat her wings, a spray of bubbles burst out from under her. Blossom had found the Deep Palace at last.

Two spires shot up into the water, almost breaking the surface; one spire was tall, and the other was several feet smaller; both were made out of under sea stone with pearls, coral, and other beautiful undersea rocks and plants embedded in the spires. Cave faces lined the spires and the rock around them. Some had sleeping or moving dragons in them, some didn't. Rings of coral and pure pearl lined the palace outside, arching far over Blossom's head. The palace itself was beautiful, the walls made of gray granite with pearls and coral ringing the outside.

Blossom swam into the large triangular opening of the palace. SeaWings of all colors swam out of openings along the hallways. Blossom swam down the hallway, sending glares at the SeaWings gaping at her as she swam past them. She could see inside some of the rooms. Most were bedrooms, some were an armory. Up Up ahead, Blossom could see the throne room with a faint blobby white-blue figure sitting on the throne.

Blossom had heard from her many targets on different missions that about two years ago, Anemone had challenged her mother, Queen Coral, for the throne. Anemone had won, and she was the new queen. Anemone had reached out to Blossom a while back.

Blossom floated into the throne room. The queen was as big as a young oak tree in the rainforest. Her wings were the color of the inside of a seashell. Blossom lit up the dots under her eyes. Hello, Queen Anemone, she flashed, You hired me about someone you wanted me to kill...? Hm? Oh, yes, Anemone looked confused for a moment, then flashed, Silver of the IceWings. You will know him when you see him; he is worthy of his name; he can be found at Jade Mountain. Silver scales, dark blue eyes. Dangerous, but only if provoked. Just be careful to be stealthy, don't let him see you, and kill him quickly. Since you look mostly RainWing, he could think that you are one of his clawmates. Blossom scoffed, then flashed, Assassins are always careful, and I'm one of them. Oh, and thanks.

Blossom started to swim out the room.

Now, off to kill this IceWing named.... Silver.

1,400 words (also not including this!)